Found odor source: cracks

May 29, 2013
Hi...we moved to our new home 4 months ago. It happened to come with a pool and spa, a definite plus in our eyes! Well, over time(not sure how old the pool is) it looks like there are settling cracks in the deck and in some of the tile. (I'm in so cal, so no real cold weather, just occasional overnight freezing temps).

We had been smelling this odor when in the jacuzzi that we finally found the course of tonight. Cracks in sealant (looks like sanded caulk) between coping and decking (concrete). Some small cracks in tile alsomhace this odor, I'm guessing moldy gunk. (Yes, I went around and smelled lots of things) :-D

What is the best thing to do? Dig out the caulk, bleach, and recaulk? If so, what kind of caulk?
Should I dilute the bleach?

How should I repair tile cracks?

Thanks friends.

Try the bleach first. Probably 2:1 water/bleach is plenty strong. Spray bottle into the cracks with two applications maybe a day or so apart. If the smell goes away, then it'll be time to seal the cracks. Show us a pic so we can see how big they are and suggest a product to seal them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.