NEW BBB with questions

markk

Jul 10, 2013
Hello,
I have an 18x33x4 above ground pool. I've been using a frogger for the past 6 years and everything has been fine until last year. My levels started getting out of wack and the water is eating up my solar cover and anything plastic. I spent a fortune with PH up last year and the pool store told me to just keep adding it. I gave up on that whole thing when I found this site and the BBB method. Here are my reading as of tonight:

TA=45
PH=6.8
CL= 5-6 I have an HTH test kit and the CL test also has the Bromine test. I know I need to get a better test kit but can't afford it right now.
BR=10
CY=45

I started putting in Borax per the pool calculator to raise the PH but the reading hasn't moved. Should I have added the baking soda first to adjust the TA and then use the Borax?

My liner is slightly stained. can I get rid of this once I get all of the numbers in line with some type of stain remover?
Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That test will indicate 6.8 even when it is below. Use poolcalculator.com to calculate a dose of Borax to go from 6.8 to 7.4 ph, add it to the pool (leave pump running) and retest in an hour and repeat as many times as necessary to get the ph into a readable range.

Back to your original post and since your water is clear, you simply did not put enough Borax into your pool to get the pH and TA up where they belong. You can calculate the dosage using poolcalculator.com. Your target should be about 7.4 or so. Dose again what poolcalc suggest and then test an hour later. If pH is still too low, dose again.

Address the stains after you get the pH where it needs to be and your pool is balanced.....we'll help with that, too. Please keep the stain issue within this same thread....that'll be helpful.

By the time you get there your TA might be ok.

The pool calc at the bottom affects of adding chem's will tell you how much x amount of borax will raise your TA.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I added Borax per the pool calculator and the PH is up to 7.2. The water looks great, now I need to add 28 more ounces and then I will re-test in a few hours. After that I will adjust the alkalinity with baking soda.
My chlorine level is still at max on the testing scale. Do I just let it come down on its own and then start back with the bleach using the pool calculator? I'm removing the Pool Frog today.

Thanks for the help, I finally feel like I have this pool under control.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.