Overflow drain question

Jun 30, 2013
I'm a pool newbie with a very old (21yr) pool. I noticed that my pool automatically reduces the water level so I asked the pool store about it. She said some of the older construction have built in overflow and told me to look in skimmer for hole or pipe. I found nothing there but do see a 2-3 inch linear opening that is very thin in the tile under lip of pool. Could this be where my pool is draining? If so the water is just going into the ground, couldn't that cause setteling of the earth under the pool and subsequently damage the pool?

Overflow drains are fairly common, though not even close to universal. They can be installed in various places, most commonly inside a simmer, but they can also appear as a pipe opening anywhere inside of the pool.

Thank you JasonLion and duraleigh for the info. I will check for some other pipe. I am not sure I can post a pic but will try. I think this is a fantastic site and am so happy to have some advice. I'll get back later today!

Here is one example of an overfill pipe. Circled in red.

overfill.jpg

It will be outside the caged area and according the PB it will be cut off at water level.

Thank you AlanE! I see it in the picture. Since I posted last I've discovered that the slit in the border tile is the overflow drain. I spoke to the owner of my pool store and she was very familiar with my type of drain. I still have not found an image anywhere on the net like it but will try to post one of mine here so anyone else might have it can see. Thanks again, I really appreciate any help with this pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.