High alkaline

Jul 1, 2013
New pool is up, and finished filling today. Tested the water after it was filled with an HTH 6 way drop kit. The ph was right around 8.0, and the alkaline was around 240ppm. This is an 18x42 pool, and the test were done before adding the chlorine. What course should I take to lower the alkaline? My daughter has skin reactions to higher levels of alkaline so I need to get it cleared up before she can use the pool.

I have a gallon or muriatic acid (31.45/20) and diluted 1 pint with 3 pints water, and fed it slowly a couple feet ahead of the pools inlet, but don't want to do much else till I can get some advice.

Thanks woody. It's aerating now. I'll test the water again tomorrow after work and go from there. Need to grab some stabilizer as well. Should I wait on adding the stabilizer until the levels are good though?

Yeah as Woody said, just lower the ph with Muriatic acid...do this every time it gets up to where it bothers her or you reach 7.8. No need to worry about TA, it will come down on it's own and will not cause a problem (or skin reaction) even if it is high other than causing ph to drift up faster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.