Colorq pro 7 debate and results

Dier74

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2013
Ok. I know this has been debated quit a bit on this site however, I wanted to throw in my results. I have had the Colorq for about two weeks now and ill tell you it has been very,very accurate. Now, when I first got it I just jumped right in and started testing and it was a disaster. It would be like using the tf-100 (great kit buy the way) with out knowing you have to keep mixing the drops. The colorq has very precise instructions that need to be followed and once you do, it will be dead on including the cya and the ch. At least for me it has been. Ill point out the major ones.

1. Make sure your tubes are clean. Us the brush they give you.
2. Make sure they are dry on the outside.
3. Make sure you blank before starting your group of test AND us the water and tube you blanked with for your fcl and tcl test. Be sure to hold reagent bottles straight up and down when dispensing.
4. Invert tube only once(except cor the cya test) and do not shake. Tap the tube a few times on the bottom to break any bubbles.
5.Press the button to move on to your next test BEFORE removing the tube ( they don't say why but this one seems to make a big difference. Maybe has Something to do with lighting ).
6. When doing ch and ta test, wait 20 to 30 seconds before testing. This is not in the instructions but it seems to work every time.
7. When doing cya test, invert three times and wait the FULL 2 min and then invert one more time and test IMMEDIATELY. Do not wait. About 7 test now and everyone has been between 69 and 72. The black dot test comes out as 70.
8. The chlorine test is rated for 10 ppm however, they DO outline a procedure for testing much higher levels in cases of shocking as follows :

Add 1 mL of sample water to a test tube by filling the cap ½ full. Then fill to the 5mL line with distilled or deionized water (bottled water can contain hardness) to get estimated results. Cap and mix. Blank with this diluted sample then follow the test procedure add reagent to the diluted sample. Multiply the displayed result by 5. (Not applicable for the ph test).

Seems like a lot but following these instructions you can do all test in about 6 to 7 mins with accurate results.

You are correct. I got 15 ppm on drop test and 14.2 on colorq. My cc after shocking was zero so I'm very happy with the results. Bear in mind I still support the tf100 kit but wanted to give a honest report on a product that is getting more and more popular.

The ColorQ can be handy in some situations, but it is not practical to use it as your only tester. You simply can't measure overnight FC loss with enough precision while at shock level to be useful. You also can't measure CYA with enough precision to be dependable, even assuming that you do everything correctly (which most do not). The last I heard the ColorQ has problems when CH levels are very very high. There are also a few reports of specific units which were way wildly wrong, even though they appeared in every way to be working correctly. If you are using the ColorQ as a supplemental tester it is easy to note that problem, by comparing to your primary test kit, and have the unit repaired. If it is your only tester you have a problem.

I agree. I've become a testing fanatic and us more than one. Drives my wife crazy. So far, every test with the Colorq has been very accurate, especially the cya. Although you do have to be careful with the temperature range. I forgot to mention that. Also, my pool is vinly so the ch isn't all that important to me but I test it anyways and have brought my ch from 80 to 150 just for testing purposes. Got 155 to 157 on colrq 4 times and 160 on drop test. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones that got a good tester.

I'll update this thread a year from now and let everyone know lol. I do recommend everyone should still have the tf100 in there arsenal. Should always trust but verify.

Ok you got me. I sent it back. Started to give crazy results but really wanted it to work because I am a digital guru. Broke down and ordered the Taylor k2006 and waiting for it to arrive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Like Dave said no need for more precision than that, I personally suspect there is often a .2 ppm FC or more variation in your pool water from one part of the pool to another, if you want to test it yourself, try taking water samples from different parts of the pool at different depths when you don't have your pump circulating water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.