Do I add cellulose after each backwash?

AlphaMare101

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 26, 2013
Fortson Georgia
I'm nearing the end of" Slamming" my pool. I added cellulose to help my sand filter clear the pool. Do I need to add it each time I back wash? I am only back washing when filter pressure increases by 25%. Pressure increased after about 40 min of circulating-I backwashed & resumed filtering. I wanted to be sure I was to add more cellulose after each backwash.

Re: Do I add cellulose after each backwash!

Yes it is lost each time you backflush...add enough to raise the pressure back up 1 psi after backflushing. If you are going to be away from the pool for awhile you might want to skip adding the cellulose.

I added 4 of the included cups as directed by the instructions on the container. That seemed like ALOT! I had to back wash within 40- 50 min. I did this 3 times & have used almost the whole 1.5 container. Now, should I add 1 cup & wait 10-15 min to see if I get a 1psi increase in pressure before adding more? ( I have 3 more lbs of cellulose)

AlphaMare101 said:
I added 4 of the included cups as directed by the instructions on the container. That seemed like ALOT! I had to back wash within 40- 50 min. I did this 3 times & have used almost the whole 1.5 container. Now, should I add 1 cup & wait 10-15 min to see if I get a 1psi increase in pressure before adding more? ( I have 3 more lbs of cellulose)
If it's loading up that fast, I'd say keep using it. Try going lighter; it's still a sand filter underneath! Let us know how it works. It seems to me from reports here that the cellulose doesn't raise pressure when adding the way DE does, and I'd like to know. Add a cup and see if it still loads up in under and hour.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.