Spider Gasket Replaced. Now What???

sefrlw

Mar 25, 2008
Wake Forest, NC
So last year my filter multivalve started leaking. I put a ball valve on the waste port as a band aid. Well last month I replaced the spider gasket but I continued using the ball valve as a backup. Well this weekend I forgot to close it and I found out my multi is still leaking. I got the correct gasket. I glued it in. What else can I do in there to stop it from leaking?

The spider gasket is usually the problem, When that doesn't work, the next thing to check is the channels that the gasket sits in- even though you glued the wagon wheel in, if the channels are broken, water can bypass the rubber or if the plate that sits on the spider gasket is warped or broken. The last thing that comes to mind is the possibility that the spring that forces the plate onto the spider gasket has failed, how does the handle feel when you go to change positions?

I'll try to keep an eye on this thread if you have any more questions on this.

The spring was fine when the gasket was replaced. The handle is nice and firm. The plate did not appear to be warped. When I looked at it I did not put a strait edge on it. When I did the gasket I inspected the channels and did not see anything broken. I do have the sound of air in the multivalve though. Could it be that the spring is firm but not firm enough?

This is a stumper :scratch: The only other thing that seems remotely possible is a crack in the internals that you can't see, but opens up under pressure. If the first 3 choices weren't the answer, I'd just keep using the valve to keep the multiport from leaking :cry: Are you getting any bypassing when vacuuming or adding DE?

Sorry I can't be more insightful!

I am having the same problem, for 2 weeks now, i am new to this site but too looking for answers...

1st - getting sand in to pool, (must be diverter valve bad...replaced diverter valve and sand, the correct #20 sand ... Second time this year, thought maybe 1st sand was to fine, well thats what the poolmart guy told me, i thought it looked the same, but i thought what the hey, i've gone this far might as well)

2nd - what ever i vacuum goes right back into pool...filter not filtering...tore apart numerous times, no cracks in anything, diverter valve is totally new, it runs at 10psi and thats about it, after a while it will start leaking out backwash port, almost drained pool when this happened, tried putting a 1/2 of cup de in filter through skimmer, filter lost pressure then starting blowing out backwash port and blowing de into pool also...i'm totally stumped...i think i'm going to order a hayward ec-40 de filter and be done with it...any suggestions....thank you

Switched to normal capitalization. JasonLion

Re:

waste said:
This is a stumper :scratch: The only other thing that seems remotely possible is a crack in the internals that you can't see, but opens up under pressure. If the first 3 choices weren't the answer, I'd just keep using the valve to keep the multiport from leaking :cry: Are you getting any bypassing when vacuuming or adding DE?

Sorry I can't be more insightful!

I have never added DE so I can't say. I have always had passing when vacuuming. Not right away when the pressure goes up. I thought that to be normal. I think I am just going to order the guts and replace it.

UHL78 Welcome. You must be frustrated to be yelling like that. :) Could you take the caps lock off? Thanks

sorry, wasn't yelling, I usually type with the caps on...lol...I replaced the guts in mine but still same thing, I am frustrated with it, but tired of messing with it, I can leave it run for 2 weeks like I have and no results, and now it is getting worse from no filtration...Just wish there was something simple I could do....Thanks

Aquaman95 said:
Pull the top off again and inspect the new spider gasket. If the glue wasn't fully dried before the valve was used the gasket may have wrinkled.

Hmm well last night while I was in the garage I decided to open the ball valve that I use as my backup. As soon as I did the multi started humming. More of a buzzing I guess. I went to the drain and heard the humming also. Not a minute later out comes water. I could actually hear it trickling this time. One of two things has to be wrong with mine. Glue not dry and it wrinkled or the spring is not strong enough anymore to keep the plate down with full pressure. Time for another gasket and try again. Humming plate or gasket? Which theory makes sense to the experts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I opened the ball valve yet again and the sound was even worse than the first time. I said time to get some parts. So I went for the valve housing ended up with the entire multivalve assembly. Took the plate, spring, cap, handle and bolts off the new one. I wanted another spider gasket just incase but they did not have one. I tried taking the one out of the new assembly to no avail. It is glued in quite well. So I opened it up again only to find that the gasket had rolled between the input and the waste section. It was not enough to ruin the gasket but it was enough to leak and make the noise. I also did not wait long enough the first time to let the glue dry before I moved the selector. So I cleaned it up re-glued it and put the new plate assembly in. So far so good no leaks. We will see what happens the first time I have to backwash.

How do you guys get the PVC cement in those little channels that the gasket goes in? Would a silicone of some sort work just as well? What glue do they use in the factory?

I have never! glued a gasket in and the only times it didn't work was when the channels were warped or damaged!! The channels should be deep enough to keep the gasket from moving, however, they should be well lubricated so that they don't bond to the plate and rip when the handle is turned. If you feel that some adhesive is required, I'd use silicone caulk sparingly, making sure the channels are dry and free of debris and then allow the full cure time before using the multiport -- as you now know, getting a glued gasket out is a real PITA, if even possible 8)

Glad to hear the problem seems to be solved :!:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.