High Salt - Must Drain Pool - Arizona Summer

garywi

Silver Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I just bought a house with a inground pebble pool. The salt content in the water is so high, that my concrete deck coating around the pool is de-laminating. I was told to drain the pool and refill. Its 110 F in AZ right now, 80 F at night. Others told me not to drain pool in summer as pebble surface will crack.

My question. Using a submersible pump, can I drain water from the bottom of pool at the same time I am adding new water to the top. Will that work?

Thanks

I would also question whether or not the pool chemistry really was affecting the concrete. Who told you that it was? Can you post all of your levels? Is this a salt-water pool?

In the event that you decide to lower the level of some chemical, you might have the option to have reverse osmosis done if it's available in your area.

Wow. Great forum. My pool was a salt water pool, but the cell broke and the previous owner took it out. The ppm is like 4000. The deck coating is delaminating in 5 places where my kids get out of the pool and water is spashed. The concrete looks pitted where the coating is gone. If I take a mouth full of water, it tastes like salt. The pool is 7 years old.

The salt content may be a little high, but not terribly so... usually 3000-3200...sometimes higher depending on the SWG.

Can you post all the test results from your water? I wonder if something else is being hard on your pool and decking surfaces?

Draining the pool at this time of year in Arizona is not a good idea.

Salt could cause the problem you describe, but so could other issues. The first step is to get the salt level measured. You need to know where your salt level is now to find out if it really is a salt issue or if you need to investigate some of the other possibilities, and also to find out how much water needs to be replaced if you do end up needing to get the salt level down. While you are at it, get a salt measurement for your fill water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.