Shelf life of Trichlor Tablets

mrsfish

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
I am a new pool owner (4 months now) and have recently due to chlorine lock from high CYA switched to BBB method. I am stocking up and researching buying bleach, but am wondering what to do with the 40 or so remaining trichlor tablets I have. I am assuming at some point my CYA, currently 60 after draining, will go down and I could use the tablets, but I don't know how long that will be and if by then the tablets will still be a good source of chlorine...

Thanks!

You can use them once you get your CYA down to a reasonable level. For example, if you have to go out of town and need something to hold CYA up. I don't recognize your filter, but the occasional use if you have a DE or Sand filter is not too bad, since you'll be washing water out each time you backflush.

I switched to bleach about 3 years ago and had about ½ a bucket left. I only used it for vacations and to bring up my CYA each spring (it seems to zero each winter). Just used up my last puck this spring. It'll keep as long as it's kept dry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.