Chlorine Demand Mystery!

modog

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 4, 2009
Hi Everyone!

I am having an issue with my pool...obviously:) I noticed a small amount of mustard algae in my pool a few weeks ago and did 2 nights of the overnight shock test and got finally got the proper result. However, since then, my pool still does not seem to hold chlorine very well. I have almost 30000 gallons here in Texas. The sun hits my pool about 9:30 and faces west so gets sun ALL day until 8:30pm. I seem to be losing over 3ppm daily. Last summer I recall losing only 1-1.5ppm daily. Is this normal or do I have some residual issue going on. Also, how long should I run my pump for? I have it set for 10am to 9pm. Should it run earlier when the sun hits it first? Is that maybe why I lose more when the pool isn't running and the sun hits it? Here are my test results and thanks for the help!

FC = 4
CC = 0.5
TA = 80
pH = 7.5
CYA = 45

I think your remembered loss from last year was a little optimistic. Most pools lose 2-3 ppm daily. I would suggest you bring your CYA up to around 50 ppm.....that will reduce your FC loss enough to make it worth doing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.