new pool owner...help!

Jul 12, 2013
Hello,

New here and have really learned a lot but I am still a little confused.

I recently just put up intex 15x36 AG pool and had no clue how to take care of it until I found this website! I have been reading pool school over and over and the sticky about the care of intex pools. I have a couple of questions that I am still a
little confused about.

1. I read about the pool brand dichlor tablets from Sams Club and I also read about CYA....my question is do I need both or can I just do The CYA?

2. Right now I only have the OTO/red phenol HTH test kit from wal mart but I am planning to buy a better kit today....i do have a Leslies pool by me and heard that there kit is pretty much identical to the k2006 test kit, So do I buy that one or do I order the TF100 kit online and wait for it to come. I have only been adding bleach to the pool and have been ok but only because we have had crappy weather...now that its been sunny and nice I am blowing through chlorine like its going out of style. I want to do everything the right way but scared if I dont have that good test kit right away that I am gonna screw something up.

my OTO/phenol test was FC was about 5PPM before sun really hit it...1 hour later no FC 0 and PH is 7.5

My water has always been clear but I am scared my lucks gonna run out FAST! I need to get CYA in there ASAP

Sorry so many questions but I have never had a pool and Chemistry was never a great subject of mine ;)

Thanks so much!
Alexandra

I am not positive I understand question number 1, but I think I can help. Dichlor adds CYA and chlorine, but also significantly lowers pH. It is easier to adjust 1 thing at a time, so I would purchase CYA, and no dichlor. Use liquid chlorine or bleach to add chlorine to your pool. Leslies sometimes has the correct kit, but most of the time they sell you a DPD kit, and say it is the same as the FAS-DPD kit (it isn't).
Have you added any solid forms of chlorine to your pool yet? If so, what were their chemical names, and how much did you add? If not, you can already know that since this is a fresh fill, your CYA is 0. You can add enough to get you up to 30 ppm in an old sock and hang it in front of a return. Last thing, Pool calculator is your friend and can tell you a lot.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

1. You need to build up the CYA to the recommended 30-50ppm and then not add any more. By far the simplest method is to add the CYA independantly and then not use any trichlor or dichlor ... although that is a little different than the Temp/Seasonal Pool guide in Pool School.

2. It is very rare to find the FAS-DPD test kits at Leslies (unless it is a commercial supply store). Do not believe them that the DPD kit is the same ... it is not. That would be the K-2005 and you want the K-2006. Where are you located? If you order soon, the TF100 should be in the mail today and you would have it early next week.

Great Thanks!

I am located in Dyer, In (right by Chicago, IL)...whats the best website to order the TF100 from... Also do I need to wait until I get that kit before adding the CYA or should I run to Walmart now and get it. I did read not to test the CYA right away as it doesnt show up for up to a week

tftestkits.net, in my signature. Did you add anything to the pool yet that has CYA (powdered "shock", chlorine tablets, etc.)? If not, you know your CYA is 0, since tap water has no CYA in it, and can add enough to get up to 30 right now. If you did add any of that stuff, how much and what are the ingredients? From that, we can estimate your CYA level.

You are closer to Dave @ tftestkits.net out in NC.

If it is a fresh fill, then your CYA is 0ppm and you can use the poolcalculator to determine how much you should add to target 30ppm. You should keep the FC in the 1-2ppm range NOW and as soon as the CYA has dissolved, assume it is 30ppm and then keep the FC above 2ppm. Then verify the CYA level after a week.

You guys are great!

I have only added liquid bleach for the past 2 weeks...didnt know any better until I found this website a few days ago. My brother in law told me that he just adds bleach so thats what I did. My CYA is 0...so I can put the CYA that the pool calculator suggest in a sock and hang it by my ladder today and measure it next week when my test kit comes in? Also I hear people say hang it by the "return" what exactly does that mean? the filter? Sorry might be stupid question :)

With a small Intex like you have, you primary focus should be keeping your chlorine levels in the correct range. Since you have just filled it, you need to keep at least 2FC and as much as 3FC (or 4FC). I used the poolcalculator.com and for your pool, it looks like it takes about 5 ounces of bleach ( 8.25% "extra strength" like Chlorox/GreatValue) to add 1FC of chlorine (CL) to your pool. If nothing else, you could add 8-10 ounces of bleach. You can test using a standard test kit in these ranges 0-5 PPM CL. If you have an algae bloom and the pool gets green, you need to shock and this requires the better TF test kits.

Testing is the best method. It would tell you how much you need each day. Stabilizer would reduce the amount of CL you add each day. the TF kits are great tools for managing this small pool

Thanks Everybody!

Just ordered the TF-100 kit and I am going to go to Walmart to get the CYA to put in a sock and hang in the pool...should get my kit by middle of next week then I can test the CYA...will my little OTO/Phenol test read the amount of FC properly even if I add the CYA?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.