Hayward Pump Pressure

Apr 18, 2013
My pool has been given me issues lately. When in filter position it doesnt prime properly and I see a bunch of small bubbles in the pool. But when I put it in recirculation position it works without a hitch.
Eventually when it does work in filter mode it seems like there is no pressure going back into the pool. I check the skimmers and I dont see the water flowing into the skimmers the way it does when in recirculation mode. I read that bubbles are due to air being allowed into the pump from somewhere, but wouldnt it be the same problem in recirculation position?
Why is the pressure so much better in one position and not the other?
Seems like when the water has to go through the filter it gives me problems. BTW i recently had someone come out and clean the filter.

What is the filter pressure when in filter mode?
What is the filter pressure when in recirc mode?

Have you cleaned and lubed the pump basket o-ring?

Believe it or not increasing the suction head (pressure) by bypassing the filter will sometimes seal off a suction side air leak. Especially if it's the pump basket lid that's leaking. It sucks it down harder and therefore seals off the leak.

It also sounds like the filters aren't clean. There should be a little difference in pressure between filter and recirc mode but not too much.

Are you a handy person?

I can't imagine paying someone to clean my filter. I have the same one you do. That said i don't think my wife would want to do it, of course i wouldn't tell her she couldn't do it, cause then of course she would prove me wrong. The grids were a little heavy to lift out, but not impossible. At any rate if it comes to the point where you suspect you need to do something with the filter i can post up detailed pictures for you.

Bama Rambler said:
What is the filter pressure when in filter mode?
What is the filter pressure when in recirc mode?

Have you cleaned and lubed the pump basket o-ring?

Believe it or not increasing the suction head (pressure) by bypassing the filter will sometimes seal off a suction side air leak. Especially if it's the pump basket lid that's leaking. It sucks it down harder and therefore seals off the leak.

It also sounds like the filters aren't clean. There should be a little difference in pressure between filter and recirc mode but not too much.

Filter pressure in filter mode is about 17
Filter pressure in recirc is 0
Pump basket is clean and lubed

If the filter was not clean woudnt the pressure be higher?

harleysilo said:
Are you a handy person?

I can't imagine paying someone to clean my filter. I have the same one you do. That said i don't think my wife would want to do it, of course i wouldn't tell her she couldn't do it, cause then of course she would prove me wrong. The grids were a little heavy to lift out, but not impossible. At any rate if it comes to the point where you suspect you need to do something with the filter i can post up detailed pictures for you.

Im pretty handy. My wife was the one who paid someone to clean the filter while I was away on a business trip.

lokoalex said:
harleysilo said:
Are you a handy person?

Im pretty handy. My wife was the one who paid someone to clean the filter while I was away on a business trip.

And by clean i assume they opened it up and cleaned the grids, then added fresh DE, vs. a backwash...

I would expect your pressure gauge to read 0 when in recirc mode being that the pressure gauge is on top of the filter and your recirc valve is bypassing the filter. In filter mode it should read around 10 to 20 but there are many things that can affect this. Did this problem surface before, after or as a result of someone cleaning the filter?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.