Just filled - Results added. Please help balance.

Shaf77

Jun 10, 2010
Toronto, ON. Canada
We have a brand new pool and the liner was installed on Tuesday.

10 bags of salt were added.

I took the water to test at PB's store.

Here are the results:

Salt: 3200
FC: 1
TCL: 1
PH: 7.6
APH: 7.6
TA: 120
ATA: 120
CYA: 0
CA: 140

I had agreed with the PB that he would balance the water the first time.

They have asked that I put in:

9.5kg of Calcium Plus
19Kg of salt
6.7kg of Salt One

Here is what I have on hand from the Pool Store that they have given me (free).

8Kg of Calcium Plus
5kg of Salt One
A package of KlearSok (125g)
3 x 450g packages of shock plus
1 L of Sparkel (concentrated clarifier)

I put my results in pool calculator and it says to:

72oz of 6% bleach
7.8oz of muriatic acid
307 oz of calcium chloride
Add 115oz of stabilizer
Add 43lb of salt

What do I do now. I have some stuff from the PB.

What exactly should I add now to get all balanced?

Want to get the pool ready for the weekend. :party:

Thanks!!

No point in adding calcium.

Just get some stabilizer in the pool and maintain adequate FC levels with bleach. Get the salt adjusted and after 24 hours you can start dialing in the SWG output.

Shaf77 said:
We have a brand new pool and the liner was installed on Tuesday.

10 bags of salt were added.

I took the water to test at PB's store.

Here are the results:

Salt: 3200
FC: 1
TCL: 1
PH: 7.6
APH: 7.6
TA: 120
ATA: 120
CYA: 0
CA: 140

I had agreed with the PB that he would balance the water the first time.

They have asked that I put in:

9.5kg of Calcium Plus
19Kg of salt
6.7kg of Salt One

Here is what I have on hand from the Pool Store that they have given me (free).

8Kg of Calcium Plus
5kg of Salt One
A package of KlearSok (125g)
3 x 450g packages of shock plus
1 L of Sparkel (concentrated clarifier)

I put my results in pool calculator and it says to:

72oz of 6% bleach
7.8oz of muriatic acid
307 oz of calcium chloride
Add 115oz of stabilizer
Add 43lb of salt

What do I do now. I have some stuff from the PB.

What exactly should I add now to get all balanced?

Want to get the pool ready for the weekend. :party:

Thanks!!
Hmmmm... You don't really need CH in a vinyl-lined pool, but it does reduce foaming. And assuming there's some caveat in the contract that says you need the water tested by the PB at certain intervals, I'd add what Calcium Increaser you have on hand - not that it needs it, but to cover yourself.

Salt One - never heard of it. Sounds like a gimmicky mineral sanitizer. See if you can't find the ingredients and post it here.
Klear Sok and Sparkle are both clarifiers that hopefully you will never need.

The Shock Plus might be useful, if it's dichlor or trichlor. They'll add CYA as well as FC. If you can read the labels or post the ingredients or the exact manufacturer name and maybe even part number so we can figure it out, we'll let you know if it's useful.

But you definitely need to get some CYA in there, quick, and a little more chlorine. I doubt the SWG will be able to keep up with no CYA.

Like Richard said, what are the ingredients of the "Shock Plus"?

Otherwise you need to go buy some stabilizer = conditioner = CYA = cyanuric acid.

I think that is just plain bleach, so that will help with the FC level.

jblizzle said:
Like Richard said, what are the ingredients of the "Shock Plus"?

Otherwise you need to go buy some stabilizer = conditioner = CYA = cyanuric acid.

I think that is just plain bleach, so that will help with the FC level.

Shock plus is from IPG. Says Chlorinating granules on package. Controls bacteria and Algae. Calcium Hypochlorite 65%Available chlorine content 65%

And to head off you next question ... you are going to need at least 10 pounds of granular stabilizer to get up to the recommended levels for your SWG. Although you likely do not want to add all of that at the same time.

Shaf77 said:
Thanks for the quick and awesome responses!!

No contract with PB to maintain CH.

jblizzle - What should I use for stabilizer? I need to get the CYA up.

All the stuff I have from PB is from IPG (http://ipgcanada.com/en/index.php/types ... -chemicals)

Will not use the klearsok and Sparkle for now.

Still confused.. what do I just now to get CYA up?
In that case, skip the CH increaser.

And ipg is playing secret agent on their chemicals, so toss that shock plus unless it says what it is on the bag. "Shock" means nothing; it's about as descriptive as saying "candy." What kind of candy? Is it soft, is it hard, is it chocolate...who knows? Rule of thumb: never add anything to the pool unless you know what it is.

Stabilizer is a descriptive term for Cyanuric acid aka CYA. You can buy it at big box stores and hardware stores probably for less than the pool store. The liquid mixes in minutes, the granular takes a few days to dissolve. Do NOT follow their directions. Instead, pour it in a sock or nylon, tie it up, and suspend it in front of a return with some string, or tie it to a floating toy and let it bob around in the pool.

That bleach you have is fine. Treat it as 6% for calculations.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Around here I would say Walmart or even the big hardware stores, but not sure what you have up there. A pool store would certainly have it, although you should be able to find it cheaper somewhere else.

Shaf77 said:
jblizzle said:
And to head off you next question ... you are going to need at least 10 pounds of granular stabilizer to get up to the recommended levels for your SWG. Although you likely do not want to add all of that at the same time.
Oh boy. Now.. where do I buy that from? (First time pool owner)...
Plug in your postcode

Richard320 said:
Shaf77 said:
jblizzle said:
Oh boy. Now.. where do I buy that from? (First time pool owner)...
Plug in your postcode

Amazing! Thanks!!

So I need about 5 of those. Its $13 each at a Walmart about 10mins away.

When you posted HTH, I realized that I had a few things I had bought from Costco months ago.

I have these items in the garage. Please let me know if I need any of them. If not, I will return to Costco over the weekend.

1. HTH Test and Balance Kit
2. HTH Shock treatment box
3. HTH Algae stop 15

Had forgotten about these until I saw that pic of hth you posted.

I would return those to the store. Using the BBB method we normally ad chemicals with one active ingredient so we know how it will effect you pool. We will not need an algaecide until the end of the season but you could keep it for when you close the pool for winter. The test kit does not contain the critical FAS-DPD chlorine test.

Because they clearly do not understand pool chemistry and think you need to rasie the calium level in your vinyl pool and think that your salt is a little low, although it seems in range to me.

Admittedly I have no idea what is in Salt One.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.