Lowering CYA

May 29, 2013
First, I want to say I am so thankful I found this board! I love learning how to be in control of my pool!!

My CYA is high, about 110. I bit the bullet and am doing a partial drain today. My handy husband (who by the way is clueless about the chemical balance since that is my job) hooked up some PVC so I am using the drained water to soak my lawn :party: hopefully the chlorine doesn't hurt my lawn.

I have switched away for TriChlor to liquid. I still have lots of tabs left. How much CYA is released per tab? If I let them sit around and use them slowly over the next 6-12 months won't they lose their potency? I'm wondering if I can leave 1 puck in the floatie just in case the chlorine level drops?

Thanks!

If they are 3 in tabs (about 8 oz) then they each one will add about 1.8 ppm cya to your 18000 gallon pool. I used the "effects of adding chemicals" section near the bottom of the poolcalculator.com. They also lower ph and TA.

If you keep them dry, they should last a long time.

I see no reason to keep one in a floatie if you are testing and dosing daily with bleach/liquid chlorine. Save the pucks for vacations (and make sure you watch your cya when you use them).

You can use the pool calculator to see how much tabs "put out". Usually about 60% of the chlorine amount they do. Keep them in the plastic bag inside the screw lid plastic container and they'll keep a loooooong time. One puck in a floater won't kill ya' if you just have to until you wean yourself!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.