Buying a pool

Jun 27, 2013
I've been shopping for a above ground oval pool for about 3 weeks and I have no idea what to get (brand, model). Each store I go to has 2 models, a expensive model (4-5k) and their mid level pool (3k). High end pool has plastic edge, rails, caps and small buttresses, the mid level has all steel with large buttresses. One of the store reps said people are crazy to pay 4-5k for a pool. I plan on building a full deck around a 15x30 oval pool.
What should I look for when buying a pool, I'm from upstate ny.
Thanks

Whatever one fits your needs and budget. Alot of them are made by the same manufacture with different names. Wilbar being a big manufacture. If rust is a concern theirs alum or resin.

If this is a DIY project make sure you get the site nice and level.

Another thing I want to mention is getting a good test kit like the TF100. It's a must have. Also having all the things you need for balancing your water you should have on hand when you start to fill. Check out pool school , ABC's of water chemistry. In fact read all of pool school. lot of good info there. You want to have all your ducks in a row.

Any other questions ask away. The only dumb question is the one not asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Thanks for the response. They make it sound like if you don't buy the more expensive pool the cheaper one is going to crumble quickly. I'm sure it's just BS but I wanted top make sure i wasn't wasting my money and either pool will last 10-15 years. Is there anything I should stay away from (models, steel, etc). I'd like to stay in the 3-4k side, closer to 3k if possible.

Thanks

The pool I have has steel uprights , resin bottom and top track and top rail. The resin top rail is nice because it doesn't get hot like steel in the sun. Sharkline is a good line of pools made by Wilbar. Some models are all resin except for the pool wall of course. Couple of members here have Sharkline Matrix's and are very happy with them.

Best time to purchase is in the fall, winter. You can find a pool with good discounts then. I've seen them with 50% discount.

I looked at lots of pools online before we bought ours, it can be very confusing. We finally went into to a store that had an honest salesperson who didn't pressure us. He actually took the time to show us everything they had in their showroom and explain all the differences to us. This one costs more because.... , and this one is less because...., etc. I had to look at the actual pools in person before everything became clear. We decided to go with a more expensive pool due to the obviously higher quality materials and construction, better liner, equipment package and longer warranty. We hadn't planned on spending that much money at the time either. We decided to wait and buy it in March when they have their 50% off sale. We just couldn't justify buying a lower end pool with a short life span to build a big expensive deck around. Not only are the pools cheaper during the winter months, professional installations often cost less then too because they need the work. I also learned that some companies will not warranty pools unless they are professionally installed. The only regret I have now is going with sand underneath instead of gorilla pad and foam cove.

I talked to 2 dealers and both said they would go with the 3k model. The higher end is similar to a BMW where the mid level is similar to a Honda. Still debating, it's only a 1k difference. You use the pad instead of sand or does the pad go onto of the sand?

You still need sand or screenings under the liner. The gorilla pad adds no comfort. Only a barrier for roots, rocks,nut grass and things like that.

I would suggest using the foam cove. I also went with the screenings under the liner instead of the sand. The reason being the screenings pack better.

I have learned alot about AG pool since I bought mine. The maker Wilbar has several brands Sharkline and Aqualeader being two of the biggest brands. Doughboy makes their own and Asahi seems to be a smaller maker. I think Asahi pools, and others Wilbar?, are sold under the private brands of some retailers, but some use the model name of the maker with their own brand.

IIRC Pool manufacturers, outside of DB, only make the "pool". This is the walls, bottom rail, top rail, and risers. Almost anything outside of these are made by another company. The dealer packages the pool with a liner, skimmer, pump/filter, ladder in whatever way they want. I assume most as packaging the pool to be "cost effective" so they package it with the least expensive item from each of the other categories.

The pool its is important but you will be dealing with the other items liner/pump/filter/water. I would be willing to bet, when you strip away all of the things out the pool itself, the pricing differences are clear as you are now comparing the different features of the pool and not the different variables of the "package". Once you figure out the pool, then determine you filter, then which pump is the best match. Ladder is your choice and if you plan on having a deck soon or need the A-frame for the short term and if it can be converted.

ShadeTree, a guy I feel is pretty honest said this
This may, or may not, be completely true but let's assume that it is. Unless you are buying a Doughboy, Lomart, Cornelius, Asahi or Swim'N Play pool you are probably buying a Wilbar Pool.

http://www.shadebuilder.com/compare-abo ... pools.html
http://poolandpatio.about.com/od/typesofpoolconstruction/tp/AboveGroundCompanies.htm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well when I was shopping around for mine, I looked at the warranty. The cheap one That i bought came complete including the pump/filter ladder solar cover and a lot of accessories and still came with a 20 year warranty on the pool itself. unless a tree falls on it, should last long enough for my kids to grow up which is all I need. it costs just over half the price of the more expensive model they also sold with a 25 year warranty. My in-laws had a cheap one that lasted about 25 years. So the idea that the cheap one is not going to last is crazy. Don't get me wrong...I wouldn't buy the cheapest thing I could find I would buy a good quality but if it was my money I wouldn't buy the expensive one. I haven't had mine that long but i found that that there are a quite a few odds and ends that you will need getting started. If the money is burning a hole in your pocket, save some for that stuff and things like an automatic vacuum and other accessories you might want. Just my 2cents :)

One other thing to keep in mind...if you are interested in a Saltwater Chlorine Generator (swg) then you may want to check with the manufacturers to see if it violates the warranty. With that said, resin designs are likely better for use with swgs.

We grew up with an IGP, moved away & live on a road where all but 3 houses at the time had a AGP ~ ours being one of them, and one house is a home to elderly people. We are very close with our one neighbors. They have had a basic AGP for 17+ years (there abouts) it now needs a liner, but the liner they have although on it's way out is still working. I believe they have purchased one filter, their died last summer. 3 of them installed the pool themselves Mom, Dad in their 40's at the time and their 20 something daughter. You wouldn't know it was installed by anyone other than a hired professional outfit & you would have no idea it is a basic AGP. Their skimmer is tinier than what I am used to seeing but I was used to the skimmers we had for our IGP.

Last year we bought an AGP ~ my daughter was turning 7 and wanted to host her own pool parties even though the neighbors extended an open invite, I realized there had to be times when they wanted alone time in the pool ~ even when their Granddaughter was begging my daughter to come over and swim. So a pool for us made sense. We purchased middle of the road ~ we would have gone bargain basement, but my Mom was a pool stores mail carrier for 32 years and they hooked us up. We actually could have had anything we wanted and I had to be kind of forceful insisting 27' was large enough for us.

All of the AGP's on this road have been installed and used heavily for years (some decades) I don't think any of them are top of the line ~ but they get plenty of use and I see zero catastrophes, none of them are rusting or blowing sides out. Haven't even seen a liner replacement.

I would say spend what you can afford, but don't think because you are spending less you aren't going to get longevity. Install it properly, making sure your area is prepared as it should be ~ don't take shortcuts. Take care of your pool & equipment and everything should be just fine.

We purchased either 2 or 4 top of the line Chevy Trucks one year. Had to wait for them to come off the line. They were lemons ~ had injector issues. Anything can be a dud. Paying top dollar doesn't ensure there won't be problems. So don't get yourself in a financial bind just because you think in the long run it will save money ~ that isn't always the case.

Whatever you pick ~ enjoy :

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.