Jun 26, 2007
MA
We have a ton of pollen on the water surface the last few days, it's a pain to put the cover on nightly it also doesn't do much either. Will this do anything to the water? I use the net to scoop everything I can out in the morning then a times throughout the day.

Me too!

I have had mixed feelings about using a nylon footie over the strainer in my pump
it does a good job of catching the pollen, but it coats the footie rather quickly and needs to be cleaned
frequently. I almost think I'm further ahead letting the filter catch it all and backwashing more often.

If you can keep it off with a cover that would be great, but in my case the cover doesn't help

What pollen doesn't get filtered out will eventually sink to the bottom and clump together into yellowish-brownish areas which might make you think you have algae. It's a very, very soft substance and will swirl up and dissipate at even the gentlest water movement. When you brush it, it looks like a cloud of dust in the water.

It vacuums up easily if you go slowly with the vacuum so you don't stir it up. During pollen season you may have to vac daily, or keep brushing and keep the pump running in the hope of filtering it out.

We've had great success using the solar cover which has kept most, but not all, pollen out of the water. I had to give up on the skimmer socks when pollen was heaviest because the amount of it in the sock had begun to impede water flow from the return. But I did vacuum daily.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.