Small Gunite pool in Houston done, pics updated 8/17/13

May 28, 2013
Houston, Tx
We are getting a small IG gunite pool installed. :party: We have signed the contract, and now we are waiting for them to give us our pool. :hammer:

So they came and drew the lines for the pool. They dig on this Saturday, 7/13/2013.

DSC01896.jpg

DSC01895.jpg

The existing patio is getting taken out, and they will create a new one from back door to pool. And around the pool.
Some shots of the yard before the lines were put on the ground.

DSC01892.jpg

DSC01891.jpg

Re: New Small IG Gunite pool in Houston Tx

Congrats on the new pool !!

Just want to say make sure you have everything you need when you fill.

Good test kit like the TF100 and all the chem's to get things started on the right foot. Some reading in pool school won't hurt either !!

Keep the pic's coming !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

So another customer had to postpone, so we got moved up a day. So they got started about 7:30 this morning, with the dig.

First came the fence and the put in stakes.

DSC01897.jpg

Then came the digger.

DSC01900.jpg

DSC01904.jpg

DSC01907.jpg

DSC01908.jpg

DSC01909.jpg

DSC01911.jpg

You can see where they are going to put the equipment. Not enough room on the side of the house, to have the equipment because of where our AC unit is.

DSC01912.jpg

DSC01913.jpg

Final Frame up.

DSC01915.jpg

DSC01916.jpg

No its not. There are parts of Houston that does. Nor have we got the problem of a lot of recent made neighborhoods, which has so much sand back-filled into the neighborhood that they worry about any little rain collapsing the walls.

Ok, Day 2 of construction, the rebar installation.
These guys were quite quiet in their work, showed up at 6:30 am, and was finished by 7:43 am.
Day 3 will not have anything done, it will be Sunday.
So we see what happens on Day 4, Monday.

Here the pictures of the rebar.

DSC01919.jpg

DSC01922.jpg

I wanted to make sure we had enough "deep end" which is the 5 foot waterline area, they measured,
start 6 foot from the back wall, so 6 foot out of 20 isn't a bad ratio. The tape measure is where the 5 foot starts.

DSC01917.jpg

We worried about having enough 5 foot waterline so we could tread water, which is our real swimming, :lol:

Thank you. :mrgreen: They were recommended by a contractor that does work for us when we need work on our home. We do have to replace a post on our fence as that was hit going in and out and looks like the french drain I had going from my backyard to the street under that section of my fence was crushed somewhat. I got plenty of time to fix those while waiting on my pool. :splash:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

On one side of your fence every other panel seems flip floped by design. Are the panels that have the supporting crossmembers facing away from your yard permitted by code? Here anything that can be used as a ladder (crossmembers) need to be inside the yard.

So the gunite was put in today, Wednesday, 17 July.

At one point it started to rain, for about 5 mins, they covered it up with a tarp, and waited it out. We had had some water in the hole that they had to drain before they got started. They remeasured the distance from the dirt to the rebar.

So the rain happened with very little left to do, and when they finished almost all of it, they were shooting the stairs, is when we had a chunk fall out of the wall. :grrrr: It was over by pipe for the main drain. That hole dug for the pipe to come out away from the wall had water in it. The guy said it was because of the water that gunite got soft and gave way. They fixed it, but not the water situation, then it fell again, not as much the 2nd time, so the guy shooting the gunite (he is the owner of the gunite shooting company), made them dig out the water, made them put tarp and try to seal the area up, then he fixed the section. He also did the stairs.

DSC01933.jpg

DSC01934.jpg

DSC01935.jpg

DSC01939.jpg

DSC01944.jpg

DSC01947.jpg

DSC01950.jpg

DSC01951.jpg

DSC01953.jpg

DSC01956.jpg

DSC01957.jpg

DSC01961.jpg

The rain has happened and passed at this point.
DSC01962.jpg

This is all that was left to be blown, besides the steps:
DSC01965.jpg

They had already blown gunite on the back side of where this picture is, before the rain (hence the water)
DSC01966.jpg

Blowing the steps
DSC01968.jpg

DSC01970.jpg

Before the spot in the back breaks:
DSC01978.jpg

The guy doing the stairs is the owner.
DSC01982.jpg

Then this happens:
DSC01983.jpg

DSC01984.jpg

DSC01985.jpg

DSC01985.jpg

DSC01992.jpg

The steps almost done.
DSC01996.jpg

DSC01999.jpg

Wall patched:
DSC02000.jpg

I notice this:
DSC02001.jpg

Then:
DSC02003.jpg

DSC02004.jpg

DSC02005.jpg

Now it looks like:
DSC02006.jpg

Guess see tomorrow.
Appreciate any comments.

I feel for you. We were supposed to start digging today in Cypress but due to all the rain here this week and threat of more this weekend the PB wants to wait another week to let things dry out before digging.

I understand what their reasoning is but it just sucks that we have had no rain for almost 2 to 3 months and now it all decides to get caught up.

Good luck!

Are there any future issues with them having to patch it like this? The patch was not blown in and it shows as the area is not smooth and is wavy (tried to show this in third pic). Basically the ground was really wet behind that wall and the gunite was not dry enough so it fell off. The first time all the way to the rebar and the second time a larger area but not as deep. They patched it with a bucket of gunite and their hands sticking fingers in it to see if it was hardening. Will we have more risk of structural issues? Cracks?
Our PB seemed a little concerned and asked some questions of his sub that I did not hear. The gunite company acted like they were not concerned at all.
We have been watering. PB has not been by to see it since Gunite.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.