Small Gunite pool in Houston done, pics updated 8/17/13

Re: Small Gunite pool in Houston pics from dig to decking

I took some pics today of the stonescapes Tropics blue mini pebble. I took them as the pool filled. I have some concerns about my pool build.

When discussing plaster with PB I was told they would plaster one day and polish/ acid wash second day then fill. Today they were filling the pool not to long after they finished putting it in. I saw them using leaf blowers on it but did not see them polish it but that doesn't mean they didn't. Is it possible that it dried fast enough in the Texas heat within an hour or two for them to have done any polishing before starting the water? I asked PB about them filling today and he said that Pebble sheen is a two day process but Stonescapes is a one day. I thought he knew I was getting stonescapes when he told me it was a two day process. Any thoughts?

Second thing that is bothering me. My pool had one side that needed to be backfilled from the excavation (see earlier pics). The day before they laid the concrete they poured sand in it. The next day they evened the sand out when they put sand down for all the concrete areas. Should we have gotten some dirt, not just sand? Also did the sand need time to settle before pouring concrete on top it?

I will post pics tomorrow. It is getting late. Thanks.

I think you are right. Mini Pebble Stonescapes is an aggregate just like Pebblesheen. As far as I know, the exposure of the pebbles is done through acid wash for full exposure of the pebble. Sound like they short cut it to me. Do you have good exposure of the pebble where it looks like the samples?

I'm sorry, but can't answer anything on the backfill process.

I think you're fine. Sand is preferred fill. "Soil" would be compressible.

I'm not that familiar with the pebble type finishes but I would bet once you start brushing it, it will be fine.

Acid washing actually removes a layer of plaster exposing the aggregate. Brushing does this but much more slowly.

Ok, Picture time. I didn't get pictures of them installing the Stonescape.

But here is where we are at.

DSC02093.jpg

DSC02094.jpg

DSC02096.jpg

DSC02098.jpg

DSC02100.jpg

DSC02103.jpg

DSC02104.jpg

Turned the pump on full blast, wow, its looking more like a hot tub without the bubbles....but put my hand in the water and found it to be cool, after a really hot day of Houston heat.

DSC02105.jpg

DSC02106.jpg

Building a pool seems quite messy for your back yard. PB says they will do some cleaning, we will see.
DSC02107.jpg

Night shots: Some shots of the light on.
DSC02108.jpg

DSC02111.jpg

DSC02112.jpg

Wow, that little pool looks beautiful! I would not give the pool builder his last bit of money until he picks his garbage pile up... Otherwise, you'll probably have to take care of it yourself.

I am so happy to see another small pool. I looks great and you will enjoy it for many years. Did you have plans to add a summer kitchen? :cheers: :cheers:

I have to say, looking at the picture with the light niche, it looks like they got pretty darn good agg exposure. Nice Pool man, I think that calls for a :cheers:

Congrats, I am envious.

Thanks for the nice comments! I see all the great comments on the big pools with spa's so it is nice to see that people can appreciate a more simple design too. They are here today cutting the concrete into squares and are suppose to stain and seal it today. I will have pics up of that soon. We might get to take a swim soon!
Pool building can be stressful. This forum has helped to answer a lot of the things I was questioning and so far the PB has done things pretty good and has not done anything that would cause issue in the future. You guys being here to answer my questions has helped us. Thank you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

That looks really nice. I love the coping, and the color you chose for the pools surface.

Do you have landscaping plans now?

Did you ever find out about fencing requirements?

It sure seems like you got a good pool builder.

On the fence we just need to add a spring to the gate so it is self closing, we have always locked our gate and will continue to do so but that is not required. If we ever get neighbors with kids on those sides of us I will go talk to them about the fence to be considerate.

Leaving the large area of grass behind the house, in front of pool equipment, for dogs or a small shed for storage. I also like to keep some yard in case I want or need to make a garden for food. Might plant some things this spring but want to keep it simple so probably if we do some landscaping it would be tall bushes for privacy.

I do have to plant bushes and mulch them on the outside of my fence street side. Ours died and the HOA sent us a letter in time for pool build. We took them out and since we have had PB using that area as entrance have not replaced them. It is so dry and hot I am going to see if I can push the bushes off til fall so they have a chance.

Thanks for the comments.

Picture time.

Ok, so got a picture of them cutting the pool, the trash gone, and the decking cut.

DSC02113.jpg

He didn't get to stain and seal it. So hoping that happens tomorrow. :whip:

Look all clean. :whoot:
DSC02114.jpg

I think they have done a good job on the cutting of the decking.
DSC02115.jpg

DSC02116.jpg

DSC02117.jpg

Yes, we couldn't help it, we had a small dip in the pool, we washed before we got in. (He suppose to be putting chlorine tablets in tomorrow. (I think).

Brentr said:
I am so happy to see another small pool. I looks great and you will enjoy it for many years. Did you have plans to add a summer kitchen? :cheers: :cheers:

Went look at your pool build. Really nice. I like the pavers and the water features! :goodjob: I notice almost everyone in Florida does a pool cage. Is it the bugs? We sure got a lot of dirt around the decking now. The wife thinking we may need to get some sod so the little dog doesn't stay dirt ridden and bring it in the house.

I live in FL, so i'll comment on this one. Here, 95%+ of pools are enclosed. FL has some nasty tropical insects that you don't see out west in TX or CA due to the humidity. That along with the gators and snakes you probably have near your parts as well.

However, the screen enclosure helps *greatly* with the cleanliness of the pool. Dirt, lawn clippings, tree leaves, cones, etc won't make their way in the pool, or onto the deck. This is also generally why even larger pools in FL are built with only one skimmer, instead of two. There simply isn't that much debris to worry about a skimmer catching if the wind is blowing one way, or the other.

Screen enclosures also had significant cost to the project as well. In the case of the pool I was pricing, a 17x35 geometric w/ attached 7'octagonal spa and a 6' perimeter paver decking around the pool, the screen enclosure added $9100 to the total estimate. :shock:

minimonster17 said:
I live in FL, so i'll comment on this one. Here, 95%+ of pools are enclosed. FL has some nasty tropical insects that you don't see out west in TX or CA due to the humidity. That along with the gators and snakes you probably have near your parts as well.

However, the screen enclosure helps *greatly* with the cleanliness of the pool. Dirt, lawn clippings, tree leaves, cones, etc won't make their way in the pool, or onto the deck. This is also generally why even larger pools in FL are built with only one skimmer, instead of two. There simply isn't that much debris to worry about a skimmer catching if the wind is blowing one way, or the other.

Screen enclosures also had significant cost to the project as well. In the case of the pool I was pricing, a 17x35 geometric w/ attached 7'octagonal spa and a 6' perimeter paver decking around the pool, the screen enclosure added $9100 to the total estimate. :shock:
I second all of this too. Our pool stays very clean. Our screen enclosure added $6,000 to our pool build cost but very well worth it. We can't imagine a pool without a screen enclosure :cheers: :cheers:

PS: Due to your pool size you will also appreciate less cost and less time to maintain your pool equals more time for swimming, eating and drinking :cheers: :party: :whoot:

So they stained and sealed the decking yesterday. Our coping was pre-formed, should we get it sealed also? If so what should we use since we most likely be doing it ourselves.

DSC02119.jpg

DSC02120.jpg

DSC02121.jpg

DSC02122.jpg

DSC02124.jpg

DSC02125.jpg

DSC02126.jpg

Just need to get some sod around it, fix a little bit of the fencing and get the gas hooked up to the gas line, we be almost finished.
I appreciate all your comments. Thanks for the nice statements about the pool. I feel it has come out a little better than I was originally expecting. :-D

They going to have to strip and reseal our decking. Concrete company left red lines where they decided not to cut and sealed them in. They didn't use a non slip sealer, and it looks like bubble wrap in some places so many bubbles in seal. I haven't been impressed with the concrete company my PB uses. PB said they would get it taken care of asap (hope that means Monday) and he didn't like what they did either.

Ok, chems. I am not sure how we are suppose to be proceeding right now. The PB says he has stopped by and shocked it twice. We have no chlorine in the pool and the ph is off the charts. He said something about this is temporary bc we going to turn on salt chlorination in a couple weeks. I am assuming he is counting on us running the pump almost all the time to not have standing water that has not chems. in it.

In a new pool, the salt water generator is not typically turned on until one month after start up. The builder is doing that correctly. This is to allow the plaster to cure before the addition of salt to prevent (negative) reaction to the surface of the pool.

You can, and will have to manually chlorinate until then. Do not allow him to bullsh*t you otherwise. Read the pool school section on how to do this, and then reread it a second or third time if it is all new. If you don't already have one, you will need to invest in a good test kit.

If at any time you ask chemistry questions make sure to mention that the pool is new. The pool plaster is curing, and will continue (fully) to do so past this month after the salt water generator is turned on, and perhaps up to a year from now.

New pools tend to drift upward in ph, due to the curing plaster (portland cement in the gunite contains lime, and therefore alkaline.) Acid will be needed to be added to compensate for this, in correct proportions, of course.

That's why its important to learn water chemistry, and ideally do all of your own testing/chemical additions.

I don't know how much you know about salt water generators, but you need to familiarize yourself with your model. What is its ideal salt level? You need to know this, as too much salt is a bad thing ( overly-increased conductivity of water, overheating of cell, cell shutting down eventually) Too little salt, and it cannot properly do its job.

In case you don't know, the only way to remove excess salt is by draining water. I'm sure you don't want to make this mistake right after you first turn on the salt water generator in a couple weeks...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.