Super expensive safety Cover

forya

Jun 18, 2013
SE Pa (Bucks County)
[attachment=0:1i0mfzcy]20130711_180658.jpg[/attachment:1i0mfzcy]I am looking at a safety cover for this winter, and I am thinking I would like a mesh cover. I don't want to pump or deal with a super heavy cover. I have a gravity drain on one side of the pool. My pool is new this season and it is an odd shaped oval with a waterfall. It is 42' long at the longest by 22' at the widest. I got prices in the 4-5k range from my pb's store for a merlin installed Is that in line with what one would expect to pay? It seems high, but It is for a custom shape?

Attachments

• 20130711_180658.jpg
    20130711_180658.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 284
Are you looking for a Loop-loc type cover? If so, you can have a custom made cover for a lot less than you were quoted. I ordered a custom cover for my previous pool on-line and installed it myself. The supplier will provide you with instructions that allow you to measure the pool for a custom fit. It is a pretty easy process. My cover was a perfect fit and I installed it in an afternoon.

Just google a few terms. I tried "order custom pool cover" and found a couple places. You can get quotes online and compare prices. Good luck.

I'm guessing the reason your quote was a bit higher is because you have a rock wall on the edge of one side of your pool. Thats a bit more difficult to handle for both the design as well as the install. That design and intall is something thats done all the time, but it does become pricey.

For comparison, $2,500-$3,000 for a custom cut loop-loc on a basic kidney or lagoon shape is not out of the norm, so a pool with your shape and that rock wall I could see being in the 4k+ range. For your pool, you would need that measured by a professional and custom cut at the factory in order for it to function properly as a safety cover. It's not something you can order off the net and just install. Special pins/anchors need to be used in that rock wall to make the cover safe enough to be called a "safety cover".

I just contacted a local loop loc dealer and got a similar price. Now my only question seems to be 3800 for a standard mesh or 4600 for a fine mesh that lets in no light? Is process of de-greening your pool in the spring really worth the extra $800?

I have had a mesh safety cover for over 10 years, live in western PA. When I replace it, it will be with as close to solid as I can get. If you don't open very early Spring, you will have a swamp to clear up. Opinion: Go with the fine mesh.

For instance this year we had a sunny, hot week in early April. I had peeked at the water in February and it look OK. But when I opened my pool week one of May, my pool was deep, ugly, algae bloom green. It happens almost every year, no matter if pros do the closing or I do the closing. I blame the darn mesh cover letting the sunlight in BEFORE I get the chlorine and filter going. This site has recommended I close after the temps reach 60 and open before they reach higher than 60. Safety covers are not easy to add chemicals in once they are anchored. And if I open early, I will have thousands of whirlybird birds in the pool! So next Spring I plan to open early and put the cover back on! :swim:

My 2 cents!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.