Test Kit Came Today! 1st results - NOW WHAT?!

Jul 8, 2013
Grenada, MS
My test kit (TF-100) FINALLY came in the mail today, and I have my first test results (below).
But now I'm not sure what to do next....????? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

FC = 11.5
CC = 0
pH = 7.2
TA = 140
CH = 50
CYA = 35ish (this one is really hard to read!)

I'm new to pool chemistry. My pool has only been up for about a week and I have NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING!!!!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

Hmmm ... well ... I would suggest :swim: since all the numbers look good, assuming the water is clear ;)

Sure the FC is a little high, but that will come down. Just make sure you keep it above 3ppm at all times based on your CYA level.

I assume you have read through Pool School a few times?

Duraleigh, my water looks clear.

I was a little worried about the FC numbers because it is SO high! I didn't know if it was safe.

Yes. I have read pool school a few times but I need to read it a few more. I've been doing the best I could with the aquachem test strips from Walmart. I used those to "guess" my levels and then I put my estimates into the pool calculator as best I could and went from there.

I put in bleach, baking soda, and borax. I also shocked it a few times and have been using a floater with pucks to try and get some CYA into the water. The CYA test is REALLY hard to read. I hope it gets easier with practice. Best I could tell, mine was between 30 and 40. Is that high enough? Do I need to keep using the pucks for a while until it goes up a little? I know when it reaches 40 or 50 that I need to stop using them.

Should I be concerned about the low CH (50)? I read that its not as important in a vinyl pool. I just want to make sure because that seems really low!

Do I need to trying and bring my pH (7.2) up? Is there a way to do that without also bringing up the TA? My TA is already 140 and that seems high to me. Should I be worried about that?

I'm sorry about all the questions. I'm just a ball of nerves!!! I want all the numbers to be perfect!!! I'm a little OCD I. You haven't noticed!!!

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the quick responses I got. Y'all are already amazing!!!!

Ph at 7.2 is bottom line minimum but ok. You can aerate to raise it without effecting TA. Your CH is fine--mine has been that for 4 years. Fc will drop soon enough in the heat!---but you're good to swim Perfection is overrated------ranges are a lot easier to live with!

A CYA of 35 is fine, unless you think you are losing a lot of FC to the sun every day. I think typical loss is usually around 2-4 ppm per day. I would stop using the pucks now, because they are acidic and are driving your pH down. If you don't have a horribly acidic water source, like me, your pH will tend to drift up over time. CH of 50 is fine for a vinyl pool. If it makes you feel better, mine is about 20 right now. I think I answered all of your questions, correct?

Ok. I will stop using the pucks and I will stop panicking about the CH. I will keep my eye on the pH and hope it comes up a little on its on since I don't have a way to aerate it. My only question left is the TA. Is that too high? Should I try and bring it down any?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Smykowski said:
Kinda strange that we didn't answer you with a laundry list of expensive chemicals to buy, huh? After all, that's what the pool store would do....:roll:

You know, I was kinda thinking the same thing! I was expecting to have to go to the store immediately and buy kinds of stuff! I thought my numbers were WAY off! Now my husband wants to know why we spent so much money on a test kit and we don't even have to add anything to the pool!!! I told him to just be patient because EVENTUALLY we would have to add stuff!
Thanks guys!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.