Start-up due to massive tree fall in pool

Jul 9, 2013
In May, a huge tree fell in our pool which damaged the coping and plaster. (It also came through the house, but that is another story.) Initially, the pool company drained the pool and acid washed it. The acid wash was necessary due to the significant discoloration from the tree tannins. After draining, it was discovered that the plaster would need to be replaced (the pool was built in 2008) because of chips, cracks and discoloration caused by the tree. (Did I say this tree was HUGE!) However, the insurance company is waiting on additional quotes before approving the project due to the large expense. In the meantime, we decided to fill the pool and get what use we could out of it for the remaining of the summer while we wait. The pool company came 4 days ago and filled the pool (it had been left at 1/2 full for about 3 weeks --- very bad algae). They shocked the pool using All Clear tablets and left the pump running in service mode. Their instructions were to let it run in service mode for 2 days brushing the pool sides everyday, then set to auto mode, and add 6 bags of salt. Then we were good to go.

After spending considerable time on this forum reading, I am thinking that we are still a way from "good to go". I am ashamed to say that we have not been very active about maintaining the pool in the past. Our initial instructions were scant and our approach has been very lackadaisical. With the large investment of new plaster in the near future, I have determined to be more active about the pool maintenance and monitor the pool myself. Today I ordered the TF-50 test kit, basic OTO test kit and borate test strips. I should have them next week. I took a sample of water to the pool shop today and received the following information:

Total chlorine - 9
FC - 7.2
pH - 6.6
TA - 65
CH - 150
Stabilizer - 0
Salt - 3100
Shock Treatment - 1.8 (whatever that means)

The pool guy said to go home and lower the SWG (Aquapure) from 85% to 45% to reduce the chlorine levels. Then he said we would worry about next steps later.

Other info:
Volume - 16,000
Finish - Gunite
Filter - cartridge
Sanitizer - SWG
Temperature - hot & humid on the Louisiana bayou

I am not happy with the information and instructions I am receiving. Perhaps I can get some input on this forum regarding suggested next steps to balance and maintain the pool.

(By the way, now the pool surface feels like course sand paper after the acid wash.)

Welcome to TFP! First thing to fix is your PH. Take it to the low 7's range per pool school instructions. You need to raise your CYA level to help that SWG out, generally 60 to 80 range depending on your unit. You can edit your signature to list all your equipment like mine below to keep from retyping it under user control panel.

So my plan is to go to the grocery store and purchase the necessary amount of 20 Mule Borax. Then proceed to the pool shop or home improvement store to purchase the cyanuric acid.

Should I add them both at the same time?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.