Shock: product and price point recommendations

nud1l

Jun 22, 2012
What line of shock do you recommend using for a salt water pool? Can you order shock online for a good price?

The one price point I have been unhappy with at my local pool store is shock. I use a Multi-magic shock and swim. They charge about $5.50 a lb. (Please don't ridicule me, I know that is high). I'm planning on checking the other local stores. Do you have any advice on what to look for?

OK, I will bite ... since Sciz is being so cryptic :whip:

Why do you feel the need to "shock" {whatever that means} your pool? If you are maintaining adequate FC (and your SWG should be doing that) based on your CYA level (see pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock) then you never need to add any extra chlorine on a weekly basis or whatever.

IF you run into a problem like high CC, or algae, or cloudy water. Then you need to follow the SLAM Process which will certainly require the use of one of the Recommended Test Kits.

Also, it is rarely a good idea to use any kind of solid chlorine as they all have side-effects and are usually more expensive. Liquid chlorine (bleach) is usually the best product to use to raise the FC level if required.

Thanks for picking it up jblizzle - someone has to be serious around here... :cool:

@nud1l - the quick take away here is there are products that you can use to maintain a balanced pool that are probably cheaper (and better) than pool store products...I have an SWG and since starting it up around April, I haven't had to add any additional chlorine product at all - I'm letting the SWG do all of the work. You'll get a lot of good advice here - Pool School and a good test kit (recommended here) is a great start...

Best, Sciz.

My CYA is Satisfactory at 75 ppm. My SWG is not rated properly for my pool. The pool is 47,000 gallons and the SWG is rated less than that, but I forget how much. Running at 100% for 8 hours a day leaves my at about 0.8 Free CL. This only becomes an issue when the air temperature gets above 90 degrees for a while.

CC is less than 1. No cloudiness. Minimal algae that I brush off. I have the TF-100 kit and have been very happy with the consistency of my measurements.

nud1l said:
What line of shock do you recommend using for a salt water pool? Can you order shock online for a good price?

The one price point I have been unhappy with at my local pool store is shock. I use a Multi-magic shock and swim. They charge about $5.50 a lb. (Please don't ridicule me, I know that is high). I'm planning on checking the other local stores. Do you have any advice on what to look for?
None of the Above.

Assuming you test your water fairly consistently and adjust the SWG as needed, there is no reason to ever need to add "shock."

If you develop an algae bloom such that the SWG can't keep up with the demand, then you need to SLAM the pool, and either bleach or liquid pool chlorine is the way to go.

Chlorine
SLAM

[center:1fwry8kz]
file.php
[/center:1fwry8kz]

nud1l said:
Minimal algae that I brush off.

Well, that right there says you need to follow the SLAM Process. The constant battle with algae is using up all the FC that the SWG will generate. If you follow the process correctly and thoroughly, then you will be able to maintain more FC with the SWG alone. And if 8 hours is not enough, then you need to raise the pump run time to make more FC, or supplement with bleach to ensure the FC does not get too low again allowing the algae to start.

YES plain old bleach (which is now 8.25% instead of 6% strength) or you can use liquid chlorine which is either 10% or 12.5% strength:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

nud1l said:
@ jblizzle: bleach? do you mean like clorox from the super market?
Yep, he means bleach, like Clorox from the supermarket.

Me, I use shock from one of the big online pool stores. Current price is as low as $2.50/lb of 68% available Cl. I shop around a bit, but not much, for price. Free delivery from the places I buy from.

I've got a gunite pool with a leak, so I can readily use the calcium in the cal hypo shock I buy. Otherwise, my Ca values get too low.

Pick your poison. Bleach is almost perfect, but it takes a lot to treat 47,000 gallons of water. If your Ca is high, cal hypo isn't right for you, though.

Good luck!

Yes Bleach as in laundry bleach, or Liquid Chlorine (AKA Liquid shock). They both have the same active ingredient (Sodium Hypochlorite) just in different strengths. That (Liquid) Sodium Hypochlorite) is the preferred chemical for raiseing chlorine as it has minimal side effects to your other levels.

If you live in a state with a Menards they have a sale going on right now. gallon jugs of 12.5% liquid shock for 2.25 untill the 14th.

Even walmart should have 10% liquid chlorine.

Perhaps if you SLAM your pool untill you pass the OCLT your SWG will do a better job of keeping up. Any alge in the pool can consume it as fast as your SWG is making it....and then just imagine while its not running.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.