Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
I'm replacing my single speed 1.5 hp motor with a 2-speed 1 hp motor (B2982). Single speed is currently turned on and off with mechanical timer, something similar to this one. Do I need a SPDT switch or can I use that timer to use either Hi or Low? I no longer need to control my booster pump since I no longer use a pressure pool cleaner.

If I can use the timer to switch the motor, is there an "ideal" run cycle? Like 1 hour on high, 7 hours on low... if I use a switch can it just be on low 8-10 hrs? Only using high for backwashing and initial pump prime.

I am not sure you can use the 104 to control the speed because isn't it just a DPST? Usually a 106 is used to select the speed (which you could just replace one of your timers in the enclosure.

Or you could just use a 3-way light switch to manually select the speed after the timer.

Schedule is kind of personal choice. If you skimmers would fine on low, then no real need to run on high speed unless you are backwashing. Also, the intial priming will need high speed, but after that the pump should stay primed and starting on low speed should be fine.

You do not need an OFF. A regular 3-way light switch would work well since you could just mount it in a waterproof outlet box. Or any SPDT switch.

You can get some that mount on the back of the motor as well.

Why don't you confirm what timers you have?

Turns out it's this timer: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0039QB2JA

Can it be wired internally, or is it easier just to add a switch? Looks like I could wire Low to the left timer and High to the right timer. Or I assume those rectangular slots are for a switch. Got the motor, waiting on the impeller.

Just found this: http://waterheatertimer.org/images/T106-T104-600.jpg
Says T104 turns pump on-off; T106 changes pump from high speed to low speed
That's assuming I have these switches inside the pf1202

Just changed out my motor (and impeller and seal kit). Wow, what difference! On high the 2 speed 1hp seems to pump as much water as the old 1.5hp and is twice as quiet (same filter pressure). On low the only thing I can hear is my old auto chlorinator (that's on off), clicking a bit. Barely a hum from the motor water is moving!) I used a $5 3-way 20amp light switch from Home Depot. Drilled 2 holes for the screws where the knock out is for the toggle. Screwed the switch to the removable plate, and wired it up (only had to run one extra wire to the motor). Took about 2 hours for all. Running on low at 1.4 amps (down from 10 amps on old motor); filter pressure at 10 down from 29. Took a bit to get it primed (on high), had to dump a bucket of water in and close the lid fast to get it to prime, but now should be smooth sailing! Thank you all for the suggestions.

I put the suggested impeller in for the 1hp motor, but old one looks the same, so not sure if that was needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.