Help with Green water

blacknoir

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2013
Minnesota
I'm not sure what's going on here. Can you visually tell if the cause is algae? I don't see anything on the pool liner that looks like it, it seems like the water is just green. Here's what I have done to this point:

1. Filled pool
2. Added salt
3. I remember for a day or 2 it did seem green but it eventually cleared up with nothing but salt in the water
3. Realized salt test strips were wrong and purchased taylor salt test kit
4. Salt test says I have 2x too much salt
5. Remove 1/2 water
6. Fill, circulate and re-test
7. Salt level is good now so I finally turned on my SWG
8. Water turned green, I think it was the day after filling
9. I used the SWG to shock yesterday with no changes today

Attachments

• IMG_9893.JPG
    IMG_9893.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_9894.JPG
    IMG_9894.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 96
What are your chlorine and CYA levels?

Any metals in your fill water? Sometimes the yellow from iron combined with the blue liner can make the water look green.

I just tested and got this:

FC=13.5
CC=.5
CYA=70

Do I have to take a sample to a pool store to check for metal? What I don't get is why it cleared up the first time but not the 2nd.. frustrating.. my kids want to swim in it!

I would let my kids swim in it as is. It might not hurt to rinse their suits in tap water when they get out.

Is your chlorine level fairly stable?

What is your water source? A pool store can test for metal, but you may have to look for one that does and tell them you want to test for metals. If they recommend a sequestrant, go with one as recommended in pool-school/metal%20stains

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.