No jet flow, is it a pool timer issue or pump? Help :)

Jun 19, 2013
Sunny Florida
Hi, I am having an issue with a new pool. Well, new for us, we are buying a home.

There is very little pressure/flow coming from the jets in the pool or spa.
A home inspector said it needed a filter replacement. So, they replaced the filter, but still same problem.
The seller is insisting it is because the pool timer is broken. I have a hard time understanding how a pool timer could affect hydrojet flow. The pool also no surface movement at all. The spa seems to have some flow from the jets, but incredibly minimal. Just doesn't seem to be working. Looks like a pump or jet issue??

Not sure what to do. The Seller says the pool timer will fix this issue, but of course they don't want to replace the timer for us to see it functioning properly. So sad. Need help on this one... Thank you!

The filter pressure gauge was 38. The inspector said it was very high and linked to the low water flow.
So, they changed the filter and they say the filter pressure is now normal but still low water flow. EDIT: it's 28 with new filter.

EDIT: 28k gallons IG with spa, 122 linear feet, hayward super II 2hp pump
Pentair Posi Clear PXC125 cartridge filter

Here are some pics of filter, pump, and pool because I dont know for sure. Sorry I know this may/may not help.

Could this repair possibly be up to $1k or more like $4-5k+? I mean, I just dont know what I dealing with here. Should a pool have some surface movement? None of the jets have any pressure/flow at all. :(

Nice looking pool. I think they are miscommunicating to you. If they are trying to sell you that it is the timer, you need to get your own pool professional to analyze the issue. It is not the timer.

You say psi is now "normal"....do you have a number?

Is the pump a variable speed or 2 speed controlled with automation? Could it be the automation not kicking up the speed of the pump? That might be what they mean by "timer".

The seller is being difficult. I am not able to answer these questions, which I know makes this a mystery. :(
The seller said the pressure is normal now. Let's say the pressure is normal, what could it be?

Do you think this could be a below-ground problem with the pipes or a pump problem? Both? I get there is no way to know without having a pool company come out. We are working on it...I am trying to estimate if this could be an easy fix or costly/complicated?

Low flow could be any number of things:
Clog / leak in suction line
Clog in pump impeller
Pump stuck on low speed
Clog in return line
Clog in filter
Clog in heater

Some would be easy to check and fix ... others may take more effort to ID and remedy.

Thanks you guys are awesome! Still trying to get over there with pool company to evaluate. Not sure if its going to happen.

The spa apparently also has a bubbler and I am wondering if it is this silver thing in the pic? Are these costly to replace/install/service (this looks pretty old to me)??

And the pool/spa has only one pump, is that normal? Maybe thats part of the issue with the low flow? The valve pirctures has seized up but the pool company works around it, or so I am told.

Any ideas on the cost of installing bubbler or average replumbing costs for low flow? Im scared this could be big money but I want a pool so bad! :D LOL Just want one that is well cared for!

Attachments

• bbb.jpg
    bbb.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 98

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The valve could affect things depending on the position it is in, also looks like the gray valve just above the line is partially closed which could affect it as well.

Not uncommon to have a single pump for the pool and spa.
Yes, that looks like an air blower for the spa.
Can not see enough of the plumbing to try to guess at the valves. Are any of them labelled?

How big is your pool, pump and filter? The filter looks a little small to me to have all the flow going through it for the spa which would show up as a high pressure reading.

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

FWIW and this is ONLY my opinion. It sounds like you are on the edge and into MY world of Analyzation Paralyzation. So maybe a friendly, outside opinion may help.

Are you mechanically inclined or would you be paying someone to diagnosis and repair it. If DIY, you should be able to solve flow problems by systematically breaking down the situation yourself. In which case, I don't know if I would let this prevent me from making an offer on a home I truly love.

However, if you are NOT a DIY and know ahead of time you will be paying someone else to do the diagnosis and repair, either insist it be repaired in the offer or negotiate 3-5k into the offer regardless.

Do you love the house?

I just updated my signature with the pool info. :D Because, we just bought the house.
Yes, analyzation paralyzation--- that's me. LOL

I was unable to negotiate any money off for these problems but we love the house! We had a pool company come out and it was kinda disappointing. They just gave us prices to repair bubbler, timer, and valve. They actually quoted $250 to replace a valve handle which looks to be $2 in parts and is very accessible. Geez. The pool company could not give us prices to troubleshoot plumbing for the lack of flow. They told me that some filters will always give higher readings no matter what. Not what I was hoping for. I paid them to analyze the pool. I got comments like "looks good" "nice color". :X

The filter read 38 and then after filter was replaced, it read 28. Im not sure why we cant get it in the 12-15 range which I keep reading is the healthy target. I am unsure of the make/model of filter. The pool company says the pump is the right strength for a 28k gal pool. He says you dont want to go with a bigger one. Maybe the filter is lacking.

12-15 is not a "healthy target" ... every pool is different and the pressure is just a function of pump size, filter size, and plumbing. If the new cartridge reads 28 psi ... then call that your clean pressure.

Add the filter details. A 2HP Super II is a BIG pump and I do think your filter is too small.

You could do a test and remove the cartridge from the filter completely and see what pressure reading you get and see if the flow increases.

We can get you straightened out ... for a LOT less than having someone out to tell you things look good. Do you have one of the recommended test kits yet?

Hi thank you!!! My first pool! Can you tell? :p

Where to buy the test kits? I am getting filter make/model info ASAP. If it looks small maybe that could be a culprit of low flow?

Also, what are those things (caps/eyelets) called that you put on the pool jets to direct the flow upwards to the surface??? The previous owner of the home said that would create more surface movement. She has them on the spa jets, but not on the pool jets. They appear to make the water move on the surface. Any ideas?

We checked the filter pressure with and without the cartridge and it was basically the same. Since the flow on all of the jets seemed low, what else could it be? We were able to move the broken valve to turn on a spa feature, it didnt affect the issue of low flow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.