Help! Do I need a professional?

Apr 13, 2007
Canada
Here's the brief background story: my DH didn't want to help close the pool this last fall :roll: .. so I didn't get around to it until very late ( November in Canada)... ( when I finally shut off the pump, the pool instantly froze on the top.. very neat to watch)
anyway, we could not get the ladders out at that time - frozen solid - so we left them in...
one is very stretched, the other tore a hole in the liner.

:arrow: Inground pool, with hole/rip in liner where ladder would touch
Water is behind the liner and all the corners are wrinkled, plus the liner is quite far from the wall ( full off water).. seems to be bowl-like on all sides.

I can not afford to buy new liner. ($4k-$5k)
I think that water would probably be pumped out from behind liner ( that's my guess on what a poolstore would do to repair)
the patch.
I would also think that this could not be effectively done by just put a hose in through the rip.
What I can't figure out is how the white plastic(?) ledging stuff, that seems to attached liner to top of pool wall, would actually be able to be removed ( & re-used) :nemo:
There was a rubber strip that was under this white edge piece,( which has already fallen into the pool).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but liners for ingrounds are similar to above ground pools, in that they are pulled up and draped over an edge of a pool wall...? ( I know not all pools are like that, but is it not true for most old inground pools?)

If the liner is pulled up over a wall, could I not, un-do the liner and suck out the water behind and then smooth out the wrinkles ( & patch the rip)?
How do I get the white rim plastic moulding piece off & back on? Is there a screw or something that holds that on ( that maybe I never noticed before)?
Perhaps I pry it off, but need to get a new one for re-installing?

Is this repair something that a husband & wife can do on their own, or do I need to hire a poolstore repair person to do this?
& If I do need to hire someone to do this, what sort of price range would I expect to pay for this?

I need some advice and some help.. please :)

Hi Raven :wave: it's been a while :(

It sounds like you don't have a 'drape over liner' but rather that you have a beaded liner which attaches to the coping. The white piece that you speak of is probably 'liner lock' which traps the bead in the coping and can be installed and removed very easily.

The water behind the liner should eventually subside on it's own, but pumping it out shouldn't hurt anything. You'll probably want to patch the tear as a first step - and get a bumper in that ladder!!

If possible, pictures of the coping would be a BIG help :)

I also want to thank you again for providing me the proper link for my Maggie's video! :bowdown:

That's terrible Raven! :(

I can't help much on your situation but I'm betting that DH is wishin he would have just helped in the first place! I feel so bad! I hope that this can be an easy fix for you and he better help!!

Good luck!

If you post some pictures someone will be able to give you better directions.

My older IG pool has a wrap over liner that is stapled to a 2 X 6 then there is a white vinyl cap that goes over it to finish it off. I can't tell if that is what you have or not.

Thanks everyone.. nice to see you too :-D

Okay, well, the camera is somewhere.. ha ha. so no pics just yet..

the more I look at the coping, the less I want to mess with it.. the is cement right up to it and I still don't see how it would go on / or off

so I think I will venture into the now pit of green slime :shock: , and fix/patch the hole.
and see if I can manually move the wrinkles ( somehow.. I dunno yet.. maybe a plunger?) to the walls.
Today I'm thinking that perhaps by adding water ( once I push the corners back to a semi-correct position), that the water will push everything back the the correct shape.

This is a guess on my part as to how to fix this problem

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.