High CYA?? Low alkalinity?

Jul 10, 2013
We are first time pool owners and read all we can about pool chemistry, but we are relying heavily on our local pool store owner's expertise. I'm beginning to doubt her expertise, and need some help....

We have been battling cloudy water. Each time, we take a sample into the pool store, we are told our alkalinity is low and to add baking soda, which we do, but as soon as it clears up, the TA starts to decline and we start all over again. After opening our pool, we had difficulty maintaining proper chlorine levels, so it was recommended we add stabilizer, which we did. We have an automatic chlorinator, which contains trichlor pucks. Our latest water testing, indicated a CYA of 94, which seems high (or maybe it's not??). I'm concerned with continuing to use the trichlor tablets for our chlorine source, for fear our CYA will continue to rise. Could the high CYA be contributing to the low alkalinity levels? If our CYA is considered high, should we discontinue use of the trichlor tablets until the CYA is lower?

Here are our last two water sample readings: (We have a 26,000 gallon pool, with vinyl liner, DE filter, avg water temp 82 degrees F)
7/10/2013:
Saturation index: -0.1
CYA: 94
Total Chlorine: 3.4
Free Chlorine: 3.3
pH: 7.8
TA: 121
Adjusted TA: 93

6/26/13:
Saturation index: -0.8
CYA: 50
Total Chlorine: 7.5
Free Chlorine: 6.5
pH: 7.1
TA: 99
Adjusted TA: 84

TIA!

yes, your CYA is too high and the only way to lower it is to drain some of the water. Most people here rarely use pucks. Most of us only use Bleach. Someone with more experience will chime in soon.

Welcome to TFP and congratulations on making it out of the pool store alive!

Using those pucks, your CYA will continue to rise, and your pH and TA will continue to fall. What I recommend is to get yourself a proper test kit (linked to in my signature) and, since your pool is cloudy, follow the SLAM process (also linked to in my signature, as the shock process.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.