chemical question for new SWG

lee872

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 9, 2012
Central Massachusetts
I am having a SWG installed, and want to get my chemicals where they need to be first. I'm going to get some liquid stabilizer and start bringing my CYA up on Friday. I also need to adjust both my TA and pH, and I'm not sure which to do first given the instructions on the sticky (pasted below).

Quote from sticky:
Adjust your Total Alkalinity to 60-80 ppm. (This is IMPORTANT!)
Adjust your pH to 7.5-7.6 and not any lower. Monitor your pH and when it climbs to 7.8 add acid to lower it back to 7.5-7.6 (This is also IMPORTANT!)

If I keep my pH where it is, my TA is too high, and if I lower my pH to bring my TA down, my pH will be too low. What should I do? I have about a week, maybe less, before installation.

Today's test results:
FC 6 (taken mid-day, it's usually 4 in evening)
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 120
CYA 25
CH 230

The addition of the SWG may cause you to start seeing ph rise, which you fix with muratic acid. This is do to the aeration that occurs in the SWG cell.

Lowering TA is a process as mentioned above.

Borates can help spread out PH rise with a SWG over time.

I would suggest keeping the pH at 7.3 to 7.5 until the TA slowly comes down to about 60 ppm. Then keep the pH at about 7.6.

Just check pH every day, or two, and add acid as needed to adjust the pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.