Persistent Mustard Algae

May 25, 2012
This is my third season with my pool. First full season with BBB.

I keep thinking I'm getting things where they need to be, and then the clarity lessens, a greenish tinge starts to appear, and then I'm brushing up brownish-yellow clouds.

Weekend before the 4th, things just started appearing this way. I shocked, did the Overnight test, brought things up to Mustard Shock level, and by the 4th, it was swimmable and looking rather nice. 2 days later, and the pool was the picture of perfection. Two days ago, the clarity lessened, and yesterday it started getting green. I shocked last night, it didn't appear to lose any Chlorine overnight, but this morning I definitely saw yellow on the side and edge of a step (letting me know that I am dealing with MA and not pollen.

What could I be doing wrong? There are no lights in the pool. The only fixture is the removable ladder.

Here is where I have been keeping my numbers:

FC 5
pH 7.3
TA 80
CH 300
CYA 40

I had been keeping my pH at 7.5, but lowered it towards the end of the last shock, based on the theory of more effective chlorine available. Bringing it down (I know the pH reading is not reliable at higher CC) helped clear things up, and keeping it there it was more beautiful than it has ever been.

And now here we are.

The only factors I can think of (and I'm not sure if they are causal or coincidence) is it SEEMS to happen after backwashing and higher ambient temps (upper 80s the last few days).

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!

victor

Thanks for the reply, Jeff.

Made the adjustment to my signature.

In my numbers, I listed CYA as CA (40).

I've been keeping the FC at 5.

I had been using a Taylor 2006, but just got my TF-100 the Saturday before the 4th. Since that was in the middle of shocking, I was checking the CC via DPD (more exact). Once it got into normal range, I switched to the K-1000 (more guesstimating).

Have you been soaking at least for an hour or so Everything that normally goes into the pool at MA shock levels as well? I'm talking floats to cleaning equipment. Everything!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is a photo of the pool today.

[attachment=0:11w29i4y]photo-5.JPG[/attachment:11w29i4y]

Obviously I don't have a before picture, but this is a world of difference over yesterday when I was posting. I would say clarity is at about 90% right now.

FC is 16.5 ppm. CC is less than 0.5 ppm. When I posted last night, FC was at 19 ppm. I only had enough 12% chlorine to put in 10 or 11 cups (13 required to bring it up to 24 ppm).

Suggestions from here?

Based on the fact that this keeps happening, should I try to keep FC higher than 5 ppm? I'm tired of losing 3 days or so of swimming every 2 weeks.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• photo-5.JPG
    photo-5.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 61
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.