Antioch, California

Jul 6, 2013
Hello,

My name is Paul and we have been building a pool for the past 6 weeks in Antioch, CA. They are pouring the decking tomorrow and are about to tackle the Pebble Sheen next week. We have been asking for over a month now to see three colors but our PB only has one customer with one of the three colors we want to see. We would like to see Ocean Blue, Blue Granite, and Ocean Blue. I was hoping that maybe someone on here might live within an hour or two and be willing to let us stop by for a quick look at the color in person or just share some photos if you have one of these three colors? Our children are really excited to jump in their new pool soon but this part of the process has been very hard to address.

Thanks,
Paul

Here are a few pics of our pool being built(I added three but I'm not certain they will all go at once). As of today the forms for the deck are set and they're pouring them tomorrow. I would imagine by next week they will place the pump/filter, etc. and add the Pebble Sheen.

Edit, I tried adding photos but either they are too big or I'm a newbie and without permissions.

My blue granite from space:
file.php

Easiest to host the pictures somewhere and then post the link to the JPG URL in IMG tags:
Code:
[IMG]http://www.hostsite.com/picture.jpg[/IMG]

Intro and current stage

Well we had the chance to see an Ocean Blue and Aqua Blue pebble sheen pools this weekend and we're glad we did. The Ocean blue was too dark, actually looked nothing like the photos I've seen online. We then saw the Aqua and it was like most folks say, like a muted windex blue color but not blue enough. We're hoping either Blue Granite or Prism Blue will be a more richer/deeper blue without going into the dark range of colors. I've googled pictures to death but it seems nothing substitutes for an in person visit.

They are prepping the inner surface today for the pebble sheen product and setting pool equipment so we really need to wrap this color choice up ASAP. If anyone has any advice on what the Blue Granite or Prism Blues look like in comparison to each other I would love to hear back.

Thanks,
Paul

We went with Prism blue and love it. We drove hours north to see the Ocean blue and in person it was really dark, with not enough blue but in some pictures someone sent me it looked beautiful. Our sample of ocean blue was also pretty dark so it just didn't make sense. We then drove an hour the other way to see Aqua blue and it was too light of a blue for us but it would have worked had we not had other choices. We wanted a deeper blue that the Aqua Blue offered. It seemed the deeper end of the Aqua Blue pool we saw(deeper depth is darker) was the lightest of a blue color we wanted. Frustrated, we wanted to see Prism blue and nobody had it anywhere but we knew it was a slightly darker color overall. The pool builder nor the actual company that did the work had any customers that they could reach that had that color. We had already seen blue granite and knew it was more of a darker look and less of the blue we wanted with some green at times. Again, that was a runner up color and the pool we saw was beautifully built and we could have taken that color as well. In speaking to many folks, combing these forums, etc. we made a leap of faith decision the day before the pebble finish work was to be done, to go with Prism blue as our choice. I'm sure glad we did because it has almost exactly what we wanted. The steps do have a slight grey type of blue along with the seat area but the pool itself is a real nice deep blue at full sun. It is very true that colors change throughout the day and even if we look out the 2nd story window, it is a deeper shade of color which is awesome. Every day it changes and throughout the day. These three photos were taken at the same time this summer and they definitely look different depending on the angle. For us, the overall colors this finish provides is as close to what we want as we feel we where going to get without perhaps shelling out crazy money for exotic finishes. I think it was an important lesson for us that one color choice won't give you a steady color rather a range of colors.

For what it is worth, the finish is pebble sheen and it is also real nice. I agree that at a few times our kids have kicked off in the pool and stubbed a toe, only to find out that their toe is slightly scraped due to the rougher finish. In no way though has anyone said anything about it hurting their feet or being uncomfortable even after hours of pool play.

We also went with the salt system and I've been very pleased with it. Initially we expected our builder to set the pool up with the right chemicals. Instead they just dumped a gallon of chlorine in and said thanks! A week later they came back and dumped another gallon in since I called them to ask if that was all they were going to do. Knowing the water was going to be my ultimate responsibility anyway, I immediately ordered one of the test kits recommended on here. I read all the testing posts I could and I relied on a good friend to help me with it since he has a similar set-up. I ended up going to Leslies in the meantime and they gave us a bunch of chemicals to initially put in, some on day 1, some on day 2, etc. That worked for about a week and when I got my test kit I found almost everything was good but my chlorine was almost gone. I found that I needed to add it almost daily to keep the full sun from burning it off. I also had to add a chemical (escapes me which one) that acts like a sunscreen to help the chlorine last. With that added I could go about a week without adding chlorine. After about 1 month, the salt was able to be added to the new pool and that meant we could turn on the chlorine generator (salt system). Since then it has been a breeze. I've adjusted chemicals only twice since turning on the generator, just recently adding some acid to lower I think the PH which was slightly off. For the past two months or so the generator has done an excellent job and my chlorine production has been awesome. I have the intellichlor ic40 and it handles 24,300 gallons with ease. I currently have it down to 20% since we're not swimming and the temp is down to 60 degrees. I've found that playing with the time the pump runs and the % output of the chlorinator is probably something I'll continue to do throughout the seasons. I removed the unit to clean the fins and there was not a trace of anything to wash off so I re-installed the unit.

I also built a home made solar heater that is 500 ft of black garden drip line 5/8 inch and it sits up above the pool pump. Although it puts out 110 degrees all day long it is just not enough volume to raise the temp enough each day to offset the nightly drop from the cooler air. I can only run about 1/3 its available volume through it and that little stream is only heating the water where it enters the pool. I have since plumbed it into the return lines but we'll need more volume to make a difference. We added a solar cover but it was too late in the season. I know that it will help keep the heat in during the night and prevent some evaporation from the winds that blow by on a regular basis. I've decided to add (haven't done it yet) 7 solar panels this winter to the porch roof and we'll combine that with the solar cover next summer to hopefully get the water above 80 degrees. I'm researching panel choices and could sure use any advise from anyone that has done that so far. We don't want it hot but think something in the upper 80's would be our choice temperature as each day was a struggle to break beyond 80-82 degrees. Circling back to the pool color choice, I heard over and over again from folks just like us searching for a darker blue of some type in the pebble finishes. I can say that in our opinion Prism Blue is an excellent choice to consider to obtain that range of blue and it comes standard with the abalone shells in it. I hope this helps others in their research and I appreciate your help in educating me while we were building.

Attachments

• Steps.jpg
    Steps.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 239
  • Pool.jpg
    Pool.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 237
  • Another angle.jpg
    Another angle.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 238

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Its funny how prism blue can look so different in so many pictures! Spangs looks awesome! By looking at sample color at pebbletec it looks so so. But in Spangs pictures even the shallow steps look completely different. Almost a purple maroon going into a nice blue. Does it look that way in person?

If you have no sun or much less as in the picture I just added below, then it is lighter like this (almost a teal blue).

As the sun comes up overhead it brings out the darker, deeper blue colors and you get the earlier photo colors.

Attachments

• 101_2924.JPG
    101_2924.JPG
    428.7 KB · Views: 217
Short answer, yes. We were given the option for a 2nd bag to be mixed in for an extra $250 and we passed because we didn't want to go overboard. As it stands the shells appear to be about 7 inches apart on average at most, which is plenty for us. They don't jump out unless the sun is at the right angle but even if you look at the above "step" picture (in the shade) you can see them reflecting. In hindsight I think it was a good call because it adds a nice touch without detracting from the overall look and at the same time we didn't spend extra money on something that only adds a small amount of appeal value. I would make the same call again.

Looks like you made the right decision! We are by the ocean and our pool is only going to be 4 ft deep sport pool. We have a very high water table and was hoping to be at least 5 but pb said 4 ft 3 inches was max he could go. I was a little disappointed, but it is what it is. My concern was the color of pool water with such a shallow depth with swim out etc. looking too grey as we were looking at blue granite. L,ooks like prism blue is a better choice. What are depths of your pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support