Learning the hard way, need advise.

Jul 10, 2013
I am new to this site and I am learning about pool care the hard way. After CYA levels reached 110 I started reading online and found TFP website with lots of helpful information and advise. I rented a sump pump and am currently draining the pool for to reduce the CYA level before I can begin to balance the pool. The Pool School calculator estimated that I would need to drain 64% of the water. We live in Houston, TX so I am concerned about draining too much water at a time. It has been quite hot here (97 degrees) with very little rain. I drained roughly 30% of the water on the first drain and am now refilling the pool. Realistically, how much water can I safely drain at a time given we live in Houston, TX?

Test Results from Pool Store:
FC 0.2
TC 0.2
CC 0
pH 7.8
Hardness 480
Alkalinity 120
CYA 110

I would have to ask what part of Houston, the water table is likely to be a bit different in Seabrook vs The Woodlands, having said that 30% is usually safe in most location, and since your already on the way to refilling, you may want to stick with that a second time round if needed. (retest when refilled to get a better idea)

Isaac-1 said:
I would have to ask what part of Houston, the water table is likely to be a bit different in Seabrook vs The Woodlands, having said that 30% is usually safe in most location, and since your already on the way to refilling, you may want to stick with that a second time round if needed. (retest when refilled to get a better idea)

We are in Jersey Village.

Given the lack of water in White Oak bayou on my bike ride this morning you should be able to drain to the bottom without issue. That said 30%-50% is completely safe unless you are right next to jersey lake or some other small body of water.

Chris ... in Garden Oaks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.