Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Empty pool upon opening, time to replace the liner?

1. Back To Top    #1

Empty pool upon opening, time to replace the liner?

I knew I was losing water through the winter, but there really wasn't anything I could do until I got the cover off. Finally, off to a late start this year, the cover is indeed off. This is how I found the pool a few minutes ago:

Go here for more images.

24' round x 52" AG, approximately 13,200 gallons.

Hayward S220T sand filter with Vari-Flo XL Multivalve, Pentair Dynamo 3/4 hp two speed pump, and lots of POP.

2. Back To Top    #2
    OUCH! That hurts!

Is it a beaded liner? I like the print... Looks like it'll have to be replaced OR are you going to try and find the leak, repair it and then reset it?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3
    If the liner is fairly young it is worth finding the leak, patching it, and resetting the liner. The older the liner the less likely it is to reset properly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Did you find the hole?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Empty pool upon opening, time to replace the liner?

I stuck my shop vac hose in the return and sucked out all the air between the liner and the pool wall. The result was HUGE wrinkles at the bottom, which means I'm going to have to pull the beauty ring and coping strips anyway to reseat the liner.

If I'm going to go through all that, I may as well replace the liner so that I *know* there won't be any holes. My wife wants a liner with fish on it, so I'm leaning toward this one:

It's not as obtrusive as some of the other aquarium liners I've seen, and it's less than $300 (though just barely).

What has happened to all the 25 mil liners? Does no one sell them any more? All I can find are more 20 mil.

Oh well, I'll likely be replacing the liner in the next couple of weeks. I'm not looking forward to the task.
    24' round x 52" AG, approximately 13,200 gallons.

Hayward S220T sand filter with Vari-Flo XL Multivalve, Pentair Dynamo 3/4 hp two speed pump, and lots of POP.