water behind liner.

deenamccauley

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I should really have titled this....hubby talked to the pool store, so now I have to retrain him.

I sent hubby to pick up some CYA and he felt it would be a good idea to ask the "pool store" guy about water behind our liner.

We have had this issue off and on for years, whenever we have an abundance of rain. The previous owner built the pool on the lowest possible area and it is in direct line with run off from all around it.
It only ever happens after heavy rain fall or snow melt and is easily fixed by pumping behind the liner. I have done the bucket test a number of times just to be sure it is not a leak and that has turned out fine.

Anyway, the pool store guy told him the only way there can be water behind the liner is if there is a leak so he is worried now that that is the problem, despite my tests and that it only ever happens when it rains hard.

So, am I doing the right thing in reassuring him that this is a high water table issue? Also I hear people talk about dry wells in the pool area, can someone explain that to me. I've often thought if there was a way to drop a sump pump or something and pump off the water when the water table gets high, that this might help.
Thanks

I put a french drain around ours & it was super easy ~ at the time (last year) I was a 43 year old single woman. I bought the pipe, dug the trench, installed the pipe with it's little sock, ran it to where I wanted it to discharge at, covered everything up, river rocked part of it & am now seeding remaining areas in sections so I don't have too much earth loose and exposed and a yard full of straw. Our pool was dug in and placed on a grade so heavy rains could have been disaster ~ the FD really dried up the yard nicely and the pool is completely protected.

I am not familiar with dry wells so I can't help you there, but I do know a french drain might give you what sounds like much needed relief when it rains.

A dry well is pretty simple as well. You just bore a hole near the pool, deep enough that the bottom is about level with the lowest part of the pool. Slip a casing in it and then you can drop a sump pump in it and pump it out whenever the water table rises enough to cause a problem.

A french drain may work better. You put a collection sump somewhere since your pool is in the low spot so you can pump the water away form the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.