Did I add enough CYA?

kmgt

Jun 18, 2013
We got a new liner a few weeks ago, so started out at 0 Stabilizer. I've added approx. 3.5lbs of granular Stabilizer (just added the last 2lbs in the last 48 hours) and have not be able to test since I'm out of reagent and my shipment hasn't come yet. I also used 2 frog bac pacs so that added some too (no longer use them, just used it to get some stabilizer in there since I had them on hand).

Is it it safe to assume I've added enough to get to a good level (until my reagent comes and I can verify).

According to my calculations in poocalculator you should be at a level of about 30 ppm CYA (that's from the granular, I don't know what the frog bac pacs added). You should be good - on the low end of recommended (assuming you're not using SWG)

EDIT: No point in testing yet as the CYA may not show up on a test for a week. Treat it as if it's there. How did you add it. I am assuming it's dissolved.

Did you use poolcalculator.com? With a ~15k pool the 3.5 lbs of stabilizer would have added 28ppm of CYA ... plus whatever the Frog added (I am not sure what a bac pac = in terms of ounces of trichlor).

So, you should likely be between 30-40ppm.

Are you using pool calculator? It tells me 3.5 lbs will take your CYA to 25. That's a good target to start with.

(I got 17100 gallons but I admit I should have lowered it a little)

Dry CYA takes a week to show up on a test. I couldn't tell how long it has been by your post.

poolcalculator.com is your friend!

I did use PC :) I just wanted to be sure because I went low on the granular since I knew there was some from the Frog.

Thank you :) And yes, I'm using Chloriine (not swg). 2lbs of the cya has only been in for about 48 hours. My reagent says "delivered on the 8th" but I haven't seen it :(. Got a call into the post office. Grrrr.

I shot for the low side 30 with my initial dose as well.

Here is PA he rain has been unbelievable. It's rained every day for weeks ~ we're finally supposed to be getting away from the "system" that has caused this (there is a funky name for this type of weather). I know because of all the rain I have had to let water out of the pool on multiple occasions, I have vacuumed frequently to backwash and rinse to get rid of it & every chance we have to get in I encourage the kids to splash like crazy. That's not how it typically is for us in the summer. With all the water swapping I had to re-dose and this time I am shooting for between 35 & 50 as I wasn't able to hold the chlorine once my CYA level diminished. I see you are in OH and most likely experiencing a similar weather pattern. If the rain continues and you find yourself having to release some water so your skimmer works you might want to bump it up a bit. I'll be testing mine next Sunday to see where I actually fall on the reading, but am glad to have it back in the pool and hoping to get a little more longevity out of my bleach. Feel like I am on some sort of interrogation list when I shop at our Sam's Club ~ the clerks love to ask why I purchase several cases at a time. Thought about throwing in a couple boxes of adult diapers thinking it would be too awkward for them to ask about the large combo purchase, but I don't know anyone who needs them and it's a bit early for me to be planning ahead for their use ~ technology will advance when it's my time for them I hope.

Just wanted to make you aware my low initial dose didn't get me very far into this season, hopefully we are through the worst of it I anxious to walk through the yard with dry feet for a change.

Thanks everyone :) Yes, the rain has been unbelievable. I think the news said it's rained everyday for 16 days. Our pool is about 3 inches from overflowing. Skimmer is overflowing (do I need to let water out?). It's still circulating.

I added my re~dose on Sunday. Prior to I drained the water to low on the skimmer figuring it would rain and bump it up a tad, but knew if it didn't and evaporated I could top off with the hose. Today it rained (and tornado~ed), and it rained a boatload. I just checked because the rain finally stopped so I wanted to run the filter. I am filled almost to the rim, inches over the top of my skimmer. I am letting it ride a bit so all that I have added (via pantyhose in front of return method) dissolves in the water. Not sure what others would do, but I feel it's important to let what I have in there dissolve properly and try to get a reading, opposed to not knowing what is in there, draining and not being able to test because it hasn't been a week and putting more in.

I am Pittsburgh area ~ tomorrow it is to clear for the weekend ~ another drop of rain and it will be draining itself but I am going to just ride the tide and allow what I have in there to dissolve and circulate. I am not being cheap not wanting to spend 15 bucks for more ~ it's just I don't want to get too much in there and have to maintain higher chlorine levels to maintain and ungodly amounts should something take hold.

I'll follow along here to see what others tell you, but wanted to share my line of thinking.

I am ready to build the Ark ~ all the hammering though would surely vibrate waters out of my too full pool though.

The post office finally found my package, so I got my CYA tested today and it's not what I wanted to see :(.

I could still see the dot at the top of the tube (I think i have a Taylor K2006). It was definately cloudy, but I could see the entire dot. What do I do? I added what I thought would be my last dose of stabilizer 72 hours ago. I have 2lbs left.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hard to say if what you added 72 hours ago has registered completely or not.

I would probably go ahead and put the last 2 lbs in ... that will add another ~15ppm which should still not put you too high ... then verify in a week.

Well, maybe that is too aggressive ... adding 1 lbs would be safer at first.

I think I'll wait another few days and test again. My water looks perfect and I'm able to keep up with the chlorine loss.

I'm guessing I don't have as much stabilizer as I think I should because of all the rain. But I'd rather play it on the safe side. I go PS'd (frog system, "shock" bags, etc) for years and ended up with outrageous CYA. I'm terrified of going high again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.