Pool light without GFCI

Cloudbusting

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 2, 2013
Westside LA, CA
I recently noticed that our pool 110v LED light is missing a GFCI breaker - how dangerous is that?

Pool itself is 20+years old and light appears to be new / in good condition.

Traced the wires which are grounded and connected to a regular 15 amp fuse.

Thought about changing the fuse to a GFCI in the fuse box but unfortunately regular (skinny) sized GFCIs are not being sold and no more space in that box.

Any ideas?

Are you saying you can not find the normal 1" wide GFCI breaker? That seems unlikely. Unless you are currently on one of the 1/2" breaker sizes.

My pool was the same way. I ended up adding a GFCI outlet and supplying the power to the light / switch on the load side of the GFCI outlet. I am not 100% sure that is to code, but certainly safer than nothing.

Well, then you may want to consider what I did and add a GFCI outlet, could be right at the circuit panel, run off the light circuit.

What kind of panel do you have? Wondering if the small GFCI breakers are made for it.

A couple of solutions for you...
You could install a GFCI recepticle near the breaker box and wire the light to the load side of it. That way it would be protected. Is there anything else on this circuit now?

Another option is to go to an electrical supply house to see if they have a narrow GFCI breaker to fit your box. Vest stores don't always carry the full product line for the manufacturer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.