How long to run a pump for

viena

Jul 10, 2013
Hi from the UK new to the forum, Just wondering how long should I run my filter pump for we have just brought a 12ft bestway frame pool and its 30inch deep (would of liked bigger but kids are still small) it came with a filter pump Bestway Pool Filter Pump - Grey, 1249 Lt 1250 litres per hour / 330 gallons (US) per hour, or should I get a better one.

Also when is the best time of day to test the water on the clear water test strip morning or night and also when to add the clearwater chlorine granules morning or night or other chemicals if needed. We have done the shock in the swimming pool and at the moment everything seam fine all the levels seam fine...

Welcome to TFP.

You run the pump long enough to keep the pool clear. With that small a pump and filter you're probably going to have to run it 6 or so hours a day.

It really doesn't matter when you add the chlorine, but you should add it when the pump is running and is going to remain running for about an hour after the addition.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

Take a look in Pool School ... lots of good info.
Here is an article about pump run time: pool-school/pump_run_time

What do you mean "done the shock"? Did you follow what we call the SLAM Process to ensure that there is nothing in the water? Although, if this was a new fill, then there is no need to do that.

I would also recommend reading these to get a good understanding of the chemistry:
pool-school/pool_water_chemistry
pool-school/recommended_pool_chemicals
pool-school/types_chlorine_pool

I brought a Clearwater starter kit and reading the pool guide it told me to add a shock/ starter dose which I did and reading on the test strip are fine .. Thank you going to have a read on the links you gave me.
Thanks for the help

jblizzle said:
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

Take a look in Pool School ... lots of good info.
Here is an article about pump run time: pool-school/pump_run_time

What do you mean "done the shock"? Did you follow what we call the SLAM Process to ensure that there is nothing in the water? Although, if this was a new fill, then there is no need to do that.

I would also recommend reading these to get a good understanding of the chemistry:
pool-school/pool_water_chemistry
pool-school/recommended_pool_chemicals
pool-school/types_chlorine_pool

Welcome :)
Test strips are notoriously inaccurate, a good test kit is a must. Not sure if Duraleigh can ship TF-100 to the UK but you should be able to get the Taylor K2006.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.