I have yet to have clear water

Irishgal said:
Lady at pool store is actually very nice and not pushy. She gave me clarifier and metal sequestrate for free - on two separate occasions.
She may be very nice, but that doesn't mean she knows what she is doing. The advice she has given you so far tells me she is just reading instructions off a computer or chart, not that she knows anything about fixing algae.
Irishgal said:
We haven't been using the salt chlorinator yet because of water being green. But when we did have it on, there were no warnings at all. There are air bubbles along the side of the pool though - is that what you mean?
The pictures look very much like algae and turning off the chlorinator is not going to help. It really looks like you just need to do the SLAM process on the pool and to keep doing it until it clears. Having the chlorinator on will help you keep the chlorine levels high enough to kill the algae. The bubbles I mean come out of the return and is a sign that the chlorinator is making chlorine.

Bottom line, if you keep doing what the pool store is telling you, you will spend FAR more trying to fix this than on a TF-100. If you can just get the "FAS/DPD Chlorine & CC's test" or better the TF-50 if you already have one of the little test kits for pH and chlorine. Either way read up on the SLAM process here: pool-school/shocking_your_pool I can almost guarantee you that it will see incredible improvement within days.

For the $20 difference between TF-100 and 50, I guess I'm better off with the 100 model. I am getting so overwhelmed by all this. Until I get the test kit (can't order it right now), I am thinking I need to add bleach every day (how much though) and run both the filter and SWG 24/7. I also need to get a pool brush but I have a good vacuum that works with pump, not the garden hose. Is there a place on this forum that can tell me what to do (step by step) until I get the test kit?

I have test strips that show chlorine - and of course pool store results - and I need to do something quick - would like to swim this weekend or at least float with a cold beverage. I will order TF-100 but it may not get here before Monday. What options should I go ahead and purchase now with this test kit?

There is no way to tell. I've seen it take a week, I've seen it take 4 weeks. I can't even begin to venture a guess, way too many variables and we don't know them all. I think it's going to take longer than a week though.

Someone with hands-on cartridge filter experience might want to jump in, but I bet you have to clean them a lot during the process.

During the work week, I am only able to clean them every 12 hours, but when I am at home, I clean every 4 hours or so and they are not completely covered up - only when left for 24 hours do they look completely saturated. So it is not safe to swim until water is clear? I'm concerned because when I was vacuuming the other day, I was in the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The problem with people in the pool when it is not clear is mainly due to not being able to see if someone is on the bottom. And yes, unfortunately it happens.

Start when you are going to be home for a couple of days and can do several tests and doses. During the first day, hourly need will not be uncommon.

The risk isn't the water, the CL or the algae, its that you can't see what/who are in the water and if they have a problem you will have a harder time rescuing them. I have swam in pretty green water in my years.

Great news! All my numbers are good! This rules out algae so it is a metal problem. Pool lady gave me some more free metal out and when I got home, water was EVEN clearer!

My numbers are:

Saturation Index Balanced 0.07;
total dissolved solids 100;
free chlorine 1.8;
total chlorine 1.8;
combined chlorine 0.1;
ph 7.6;
cyanuric acid 30 ppm;
copper 0
iron 0
total alkalinity 100
calcium 230

When we looked back over the steps I've taken so far, we realized water turned green when I added bleach to kick start SWG. Thankfully, it looks like I will be floating with a cold beverage this weekend - that is, if the rain stops and the clouds dissipate!

Who told you those numbers were good and ruled out an algae problem? Your CYA of 30 means you should have a MINIMUM of 2 FC at all times and a target of 4, and shock level is 12! 1.8 is not good and absolutely will do nothing to rule out an algae problem.

As for your pool lady who is continuing to tell you it is a metal problem yet finds no copper and no iron: :hammer:

I still feel adding bleach to get your FC up to a shock level and filtering will get you where you need to be.

Green tint is usually copper in the water and her tests keep showing a Copper reading of zero.

Can you count the number of squares on the floor of the pool all the way across the pool? If the answer is no, you need to keep filtering. If the answer is my eyes aren't good enough, get a kid to do it.

Yes, even though my eyes are bad, I can see the bottom of the pool all the way across. Lucky for me, it is only 16' across - lol! I will have to wait until the morning to take a picture. Very bad thunder and lightning out there right now. But I braved it to rinse my cartridge and add the metal out. Once I get the water clear, I will be able to raise the FC up to shock level and run the SWG, right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.