When should I clean my filters

Jul 10, 2013
Palm Coast, FL
I just started working taking care of a commercial pool and spa. I want to know how often or when to clean my DE filter grids. They are in a tank on the suction side of the pump. I mounted pressure and vacuum gauges for the system. When filters are clean the pressure reads 18 PSI and the vacuum is at 8". The previous person said to clean once or twice a week but in pool school they said that frequent cleaning, when not needed, is a waste of time and money for the DE powder. Tell me what you guys/gals think.

We recommend cleaning filters when three pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. But that is for filters on the pressure side of the pump and we are mostly residential.

Seems odd and inefficient to have the filters on the suction side.

Just curious, do you have, or have you found the local municipal/state/city/county ordinances for pool maintainence?

How are you testing the water?

How are you chlorinating the pool?

Did the previous person say clean as in open and remove grids? Or clean as in backwash?

I would use the knowledge you gain by reading here over what the previous person said, but i would also want to know what expectations the government has for your pool chemical levels and or maintainence procedures.

I guess you all have a log for chemcial testing, might be useful to post a picture of it and let people comment.

Welcome!

harleysilo said:
Just curious, do you have, or have you found the local municipal/state/city/county ordinances for pool maintainence?
Yes I have.
How are you testing the water?
Test Kit and State comes out once a year for inspection.

How are you chlorinating the pool?
Auto feeders and liquid chlorine.
Did the previous person say clean as in open and remove grids? Or clean as in backwash?
Drain tank and spray off grids that pump to waste.

I would use the knowledge you gain by reading here over what the previous person said, but i would also want to know what expectations the government has for your pool chemical levels and or maintainence procedures.
Chemicals in pool and spa are checked daily.

I guess you all have a log for chemcial testing, might be useful to post a picture of it and let people comment.
I will get pictures and post them.

Welcome!

Thanks all and thanks for the welcome. On my 1800 gallon Spa I clean the Hayward C2025 filter cartridge when pressure rises 10 PSI over clean. It has a pressure dial with green and red pointers spaced 10 PSI apart. Runs at 10 PSI clean and 20 PSI I clean the filters.

More interested in the pool filter though. CPT school said over cleaning is a waste of time and DE powder. It has 18 grids that measure 18" X 24" that give me a filter surface area of 108 sq/ft. I use about 12.5 pounds of DE per cleaning which at 1 cleaning/week is 50 pounds of DE per month. I am trying to reduce this and save myself time.

Thanks.

daltana said:
Thanks all and thanks for the welcome. On my 1800 gallon Spa I clean the Hayward C2025 filter cartridge when pressure rises 10 PSI over clean. It has a pressure dial with green and red pointers spaced 10 PSI apart. Runs at 10 PSI clean and 20 PSI I clean the filters.

More interested in the pool filter though. CPT school said over cleaning is a waste of time and DE powder. It has 18 grids that measure 18" X 24" that give me a filter surface area of 108 sq/ft. I use about 12.5 pounds of DE per cleaning which at 1 cleaning/week is 50 pounds of DE per month. I am trying to reduce this and save myself time.

Thanks.

Well the standard answer of cleaning when pressure increases by 20-25% has already been given with the caveats for your situation.

Have you witnessed a cleaning yet? What do the grids look like before cleaning?

After 1 weeks, do you notice water flow diminishing? Do you have a flow meter installed somewhere? Pressure guage on filters?

daltana said:

This is waiting too long probably as well ... should likely be cleaning before a pressure of 13psi so that the flow is not significantly reduced.

harleysilo said:
daltana said:

Thanks.

Well the standard answer of cleaning when pressure increases by 20-25% has already been given with the caveats for your situation.

Have you witnessed a cleaning yet? What do the grids look like before cleaning? Yes I have and the grids are in good condition.

After 1 weeks, do you notice water flow diminishing? Do you have a flow meter installed somewhere? Pressure guage on filters? No, water flow does not diminish. Flow meter installed on return to pool. no pressure gauge on filters as they are in a tank. Vacuum gauge before pump and pressure gauge after the pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.