VS Pump keeps tripping GFCI Breaker

jhav

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 29, 2011
I've done some searching and while I have read a lot of posts from people who have had GFCI/Pump issues, none seem to be identical to what I am experiencing. I'm hoping others can shed some light as to what might be making my breaker trip.

I have a Pentair EasyTouch 8 Panel with a StaRite VS-3050 pump. The pump is currently wired directly to a 20A 240V GFCI breaker in the panel. The breaker is NOT connected to anything else - it only serves the Pump. The panel and the pump are both located outdoors and are ~1.5 years old.

Periodically, I noticed this breaker tripping last pool season --- this occurred about once every week or two (sometimes more often, sometimes less). When I would flip the breaker back on, everything would work fine again for another 1-2+ weeks. When this same behavior continued into this pool season, I called Pentair as I thouht the pump might be the culprit. They sent a tech out to my home who identified that the Electrician had originally wired the pump breaker to a relay which was also powering the IntelliChlor transformer --- he told me that this was incorrect (which I have since read a lot about on this site) and that the pump breaker should not be connected to anything by the pump itself --- not a relay.

About a 1.5 weeks ago, I re-wired my panel so that the pump is now directly connected to the 20A 240V GFCI breaker - it is no longer connected to a relay. I was optimistic that this re-wiring would solve my tripping issue --- however, the breaker has tripped twice since I completed this work.

I have considered ordering a new 20A 240V GFCI breaker for ~$100, but before I drop the cash, I'd like to have a better sense whether or not this is the actual problem. Unfortunately, I am not sure how to determine if the breaker itself is the issue, or if our issue is pump/wiring related. Is there anyway for me to identify what the source cause of this is using a multi-meter? Is there anything I should be looking for at the pump that could cause the breaker to trip?

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.