Mosquitoes

Apr 4, 2010
Must praise this site It has been a wonderful place to come with confidence can I ever thank Chem Geek and others enough for the info on keeping clean water inexpensively. Now I ask for help in controlling these (I'm sure they have a roll in the Cosmos besides keeping me out of my pool at nite) pesky critters.We have had a very rainy spring early summer lots of critters .What have others had success with ? spraying,netting,gizmos at Walmart to clear an area any suggestions are appreciated Thanks in advance

Some folks use yard foggers just prior to going out to swim and that seems to keep mosquitos away for awhile. Some use citronella torches and candles with mixed results. If you have the money to invest in a yard misting system those seem to work pretty well.

We fog every few weeks and then anytime before a party. Problem is you are only killing the bugs in your own bushes, the ones from next door will be happy to drop by for a free meal. Citronella is good in general for all bugs, we keep a few candles around. The best success I have had is with anything that includes allethrin. That includes the coils, thermaCELL devices, and the OFF! powerpad lanterns. As a warning, allethrin is also toxic to birds and cats in large enough quantities so don't use them indoors.

The old style bug zappers are practically worthless against mosquitos, I don't use them personally. There are also propane powered systems that I hear work quite well but they run $200 and up. I imagine it's worthwhile if you live in the woods and are constantly outside as they basically depopulate the area over the course of a couple of weeks, but I will stick with the candles and coils myself. Hope this helps!

This is what I use and it works well. I fog the heck out of the whole (small) back yard. I blast it up against the wood fence too and it leaks through to the neighbor's bushes too. Heck, a huge cloud typically rolls through their yard and the first couple of times they thought my house was on fire, lol.

Electric fogger

Last year I bought a couple of the newer Tiki torches that have the larger dancing flame. They perform much better. This year, I see they have a couple of newer more fashionable models. What's nice is that they're shorter than the ones on a pole so there is less chance for mosquitos flying under.

I would love a mister system, but they're quite costly... like 1-2k.

Attachments

• tiki 1.jpg
    tiki 1.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 301
  • tiki 2.jpg
    tiki 2.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 301
  • tiki 3.jpg
    tiki 3.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 300
If you are still having mosquito problems you need to research a chemical called bifenthrin. I have a half acre yard that I spray once a month. Takes about an hour to do using a hand pump and costs about $5 each time. It has lasted over a month at times. If you would like more info send me a msg. and I can go into more detail about how to use it. Rain doesn't wash it away easily either.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great Question... as I sit her covered in chigger bites. ugh.

Here's the fix - Gold bond anti-itch cream
Bio-freeze on top of that. :thumleft: :thumleft:

I have a mosquito trap that is awesome and keeps the yard free of mosquitos with no chemicals. It consists of a warming blanket and a tank of CO2 ....... the heat and CO2 mimic a human and draw the mosquitos to it way off in the corner of the yard and then will kill them too.

It was $500 +- but i know they have come down in price .... they really work and as soon as the CO2 runs out we can tell because we start noticing mosquitos.

Mr_Matthew_L said:
If you are still having mosquito problems you need to research a chemical called bifenthrin. I have a half acre yard that I spray once a month. Takes about an hour to do using a hand pump and costs about $5 each time. It has lasted over a month at times. If you would like more info send me a msg. and I can go into more detail about how to use it. Rain doesn't wash it away easily either.

Myself and all of my neighbors spray and you wont see a single skeeter, ant, roach, nada!

You will need to spray no more than a 1/2oz per gallon (I'm actually spraying less than that now) and spray EVERYTHING except for flowering plants and things you intend to eat. Spray half way up the walls of the house, under the eves, the deck, the lawn, under the house if applicable....simply put, EVERYTHING. It is safe for pets once its dry and it is NOT water soluble.

I keep a case on hand at all times and I spray about 4-5 times a year.

google search Bifen-IT

I use Bifen XTS it's more potent than IT. Once mixed with water it comes out to the same strength as IT but you get more for your money. I use a total of 1.5 ounces in my 1/2 acre yard. I spray my yard, mother in laws, mothers, fathers, and my neighbors. I have found that when I spray my neighbors yard, I only need to spray the few trees in my yard.

I use Taurus SC on my house about 4 times a year and never have any bug problems.

Just don't overlap the chemicals because Bifen is an instant kill and deterrent where Taurus is a slow acting killer that the pests cannot detect.

Living in TN you have to really watch all the diseases that the ticks/mosquitoes carry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.