Balanced but sightly green and cloudy????

Deb_B

May 21, 2013
Houston, Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello my pool is an Intex 18x48 Above Ground Pool. This is my first pool ever and only ever done BBB. I've read pool school and kept a very pretty pool. Until now.

The water was crystal clear and pretty until the beginning of July. It just started getting cloudy now and then.

I first noticed I needed more and more bleach on a daily basis so I checked my CYA level and it had dropped from 40 to 30. I added more stabilizer and continued checking my FC level and adjusting each night to 6 (Pool Calc says my goal should be 3 to 7 and the CYA chart says 5). I shocked the pool on the 2nd for the first time and the water went back to clear the next day.

I test morning and night, clean the pool daily, brush weekly (unless needed), vacuum weekly, clean filter cartridge weekly, change filter monthly.

The water was a little cloudy this morning with a little staining on the bottom. Tonight it has a green tinge to it, cloudy and the bottom is staining brown (like tea stains) around the edge but my numbers are kept in the proper range. Tested first thing this am and was still testing above 5.

Tonight's numbers are as follows: (HTH 6 Kit)
FC = 2 added 40 oz of 8.25 bleach (we've had high 90s to 100s temp here)
PH = 7.2
TA = 150
CH = 250
CYA = 30 (lower again after adding 12 oz liquid stabilizer yesterday for a 35 level)

Could the high heat be affecting my CYA & bleach levels? Also my vacuum uses the water hose. I think that might be added to the loss of cya.

I usually buy my bleach at ALDI. This last batch is dated 5/27/2013 which seems old to me.

I am thinking I need to shock the pool again. I only have a basic HTH 6 test kit for chlorine so how do I know how much bleach to add the next night if it only tests to 5?

Any thoughts?

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

What is the source of your fill water (well or municipal)?

Deb_B said:
Tonight it has a green tinge to it, cloudy and the bottom is staining brown (like tea stains) around the edge but my numbers are kept in the proper range.
One quick way to determine if these stains are from metals in the water or whether they are of organic origin is to take a Vitamin C tablet and hold/gently rub on the stain. If it begins to lift after about 30-60 seconds, then it is a metal stain. If not, then it is organic.

I woke up this morning to a green swamp. I can still see the bottom but it is gross.

Testing with Vit C is not an option for me as I do not want to climb in the pool. The stains are on the bottom. eew... I think I can bribe my hubby to do it but I really think I am dealing with algae.

Oh and I do not have well water.

This morning's numbers (regular oto kit)

FC 5
PH 7.2

The rest I did not retest from last night..

I added enough bleach to get the FC level up to the CYA chart recommended level of 12 just to get something started.

I have on hand from when we purchased the pool 2 pouches of HTC Shock and one 16 oz bottle of shock and swim.

Can I do the HTH way and just add the shock product each day until it clears since I don't have the good test kit?

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Deb_B said:
That is my plan as soon as I can find a kit locally that will give me the numbers I need to SLAM

There is a 99+% chance you will not find an acceptable kit locally ... unless, you have a commercial pool supply store that may have the K-2006. Most retail stores will not have any idea what you are talking about. The key is the FAS-DPD chlorine test ... it is NOT, repeat NOT the same as the DPD chlorine test.

Where are you located?

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

According to 2 pool stores (Pool Warehouse and Leslies) I actually have a 70 CYA and I have been chlorinating for a 30/40 CYA targeting 6, which is not good. With the hot an longer days my FC was dropping to 3 and sometimes 2. Plus I missed a day do to a family emergency. Basically I had a algae crock pot.

CC was 0 at both stores and the rest of the numbers were about the same as my originals.

I am following the "Turning Your Green Swamp" advice for what to do without the FAS/DPD kit which I am ordering right now in another tab.

Lots and Lots of bleach.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me. Sorry its taken so long. I've been taking care of a very ill father-in-law.

We have a crystal clear pool again! We had to do without a test kit but the Swamp to Oasis post was EXCELLENT in guiding us!!!

I did get my FAS/DPD kit! I love it.

Again thanks everyone..

FC 4.5
CC 0
CYA 30
PH 7.5
TA 150
CH 190

Water is clear as a bell!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.