Disconnecting Copper?

Jul 1, 2013
Ferrum, Virginia
Please excuse my ignorance and if this is posted already somewhere, please redirect me.
I have seen a few posts about disconnecting the copper plates in the SWCG.
What is the deal with disconnecting the copper connections in the SWCG?
Why would you do that? How is it beneficial?
Does it effect the performance of the SWCG?
Lastly, How is it done, if it is beneficial? (any pics - I am a visual learner :hammer: )

Thanks for your direction.

Joe "Newbie"

When copper and chlorine meet the copper oxidizes and makes blond hair turn green... :shock:

Here is a post that describes how to remove them. http://www.troublefreepool.com/how-to-remove-copper-bars-in-intex-swg-t57921.html

Mine is an older unit that does not have the bars, so I can't personally walk you through it.

Some think it's fine to just unplug them, others say remove. I think I would lean toward removal myself.

A Suziqzer said, although copper is an algaecide, it also stains pool surfaces and can turn blond hair green. In addition, if you keep your FC (free chlorine) at an appropriate level, you do not need the copper (or any algaecide).

To disconnect bars just unscrew the retaining nut and pull off the connector...you can just leave it hanging.

It does not effect the performance of the swg.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.