New Salt Water System

Jul 2, 2012
My pool contractor just installed a new salt water chlorinator, but I can't figure out which brand it is. The owners manual refers to it as "Salt Regenerative System (SWS)" but I can't seem to find online.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Also, my pool guy did a real awful job with the whole process, so i'm concerned it's not installed correctly. I just dumped 600 pounds of salt into my 30,000 gallon pool, but the "Inspect Cell" LED is still illuminated and it's brand new.

Any thoughts on this?

I think we are going to need to some pictures to be able to help ID the system.

Where are you located? Please add your pool details and location as described HERE to your signature as it will help us help you.

Trying to get a small enough picture to post.

On another note, the check cell LED went off. However after putting 600 pounds salt in my pool and letting system run for 24 hours I tested for chlorine using my TF 100 kit tonite and it showed zero chlorine. Even the reagent for the chlorine drop test did not turn the water any shade of pink. Is it possible the swg is hooked up backwards or something?

I added the salt but turned the unit on, both filter and swg, approximately an hour
Should probably also note my pH was 7.5. I have yet to add cya and this was a brand new fill from my city water so thats likely problematic as well.

The SWG should be turned OFf during the addition of any salt. He very high salt concentrations that can exist until the new salt is dissolved and thoroughly mixed in can damage the cell if it is powered up.

It appears my system is SWS Model AC 50857. This thing is acting pretty strange. When I look at the instant diagnostic figures on the control box it appears to generate chlorine for like 5 minutes but then stops. Shows that I have zero voltage being generated by the cell. Any thoughts as to why this could be happening?

Is there an output setting? Many have a % setting which is the amount of time the unit generates over a given time period. If it is set really low, then 5 minutes could be normal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is no reason to think the SWG is broken, it is doing exactly what I would expect it to do in this situation.

With CYA at zero, you will lose all of your chlorine to sunlight as quickly as the SWG can produce it.

600 lbs of salt in 30,000 gallons will raise the salt level by about 2400. You would have had some salt to start with, but since the pool was just filled you wouldn't have had very much. So chances are your salt level is indeed too low.

It is very very unusual to see PPM settings on a SWG. Normally only higher end commercial models have anything like that. Are you sure that is what it actually is? It seems more likely to me that it can display the salt level in PPM and then lets you input a percentage number from 0 to 100 that indicates what percentage of the time the pump is on that the SWG should be active.

If you had witnessed the 3 month ordeal that went on at my house with my pool contractor you might have reason to believe they may have broken something. It was by far the worst experience Ive had with any contractor. Haha!

As far as the unit itself is concerned, you are correct it is a percentage setting. I misunderstood the owners manual. So i just turned it up to see how this does.

With respect to salt level, i filled, added 600 pounds salt, emptied roughly 20k gallons, refilled, added 600 more pounds of salt. My salinity tested at 3200 so should be fine.

Also since initial post ive raised cya level to 30 but needs to come up.

Assuming at the higher % setting will be a start.

Raising the percentage setting will help a great deal. With CYA at 30 you should get a measurable FC level, but the SWG is unlikely to be able to keep up on it's own. You need to add chlorine manually until CYA comes up some more and the SWG can keep up on it's own.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.