CYA Level Still Low

May 24, 2010
CYA level in our ~28k gallon pool at the start of the season was -0- (using a k2006 kit). Per the pool calculator, I added 9 lbs. of granular stabilizer to get the level to 40. We are going through a gallon of bleach a day, so I tested CYA and, though the test water is hazier than when I tested at the start of the season, I can still see the dot at the bottom of the tube at the -0- level. Should I add another pound or two and see what happens?

Water is clear and combined chlorine is <1.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Thanks for your replies.

I don't have the container anymore but it was HTH conditioner/stabilizer from Walmart. I think I've seen elsewhere that it is approx. 97%. I last added it to the pool about 3 weeks ago, so should be fully absorbed.

I've already added 9 lbs. Think I should start by adding an additional 2 lbs.?

Reading the CYA test is difficult!

Thanks.

Should say that reading the test can be difficult for middle-aged eyes. Have to make sure I bring the reading glasses out to the pool. Yes, I rely on the sun to help me, or just a bright blue sky.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Will definitely hold off on backwashing after adding stabilizer, even if adding via stocking. Thanks for the tip.

Yes, we had almost a foot of rain here too! I believe I added most of stabilizer after the rain.

So if the test is registering a hazy -0-, should I just add a couple of pounds and see where that goes?

You can go ahead and do that and see where it gets you. You might have someone else there when you test again to see what they get as a result. Since it is a different test to get used to, it's not a bad idea to have another set of eyes sometimes.

Also, are you sure you put in 9 lbs the first time? I don't think the Walmart here sells anything that large.

Thank you all for your comments.

Jeff - I feel pretty confident about the test and I used new reagent. Just doesn't seem right that I add 9 lbs. and the test is showing close to -0-.

Suziqzer - yes, I added two 4 lb. containers and part of a container from last year to get 9 lbs.

That dot at the bottom of the tube will completely disappear, right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.