Help with new pool package

Jul 9, 2013
I am in the process of selecting a pool and equipment package for my family. I think I have decided on the 20' Matrix. I want to run a saltwater system. I am having dificulty seteling on a filtration system. I know everyone has thier favorite. I was leaning toward a sand filter. Should I do a Sta-rite 1 HP 19" filter or a Sta-rite 1.5 HP 22" filter? The specs on the smaller system says up to 19K gallons and I will have just over 10K gallons. Seems like it would be plenty, but there is only $35 diferance in price.

Also looking for recomendations for saltwater clorinators. Intex is cheap. Maybe too cheap? Was thinking Hayward AquaTrol. Don't want an in-pool like the Saltron because I know my kids will mess with it.

Would like to install 24" in ground, but was not recomended with the Matrix. Pools that are rated for semi-in-ground seem much higher priced. (Prob just do standard install)

Any other info is great. Total rookie trying to learn al this!

Welcome to tfp, smithder :wave:

For a sand filter and your ~9400 gallon pool we would recommend a minimum 1.8 sq. ft. sand filter (or 18" diameter) but going bigger (to an extent) will be better.

For the pump, if you are going single speed I would not go any higher than a 1 hp. However, we would recommend looking at a 2-speed option. Here is a nice combo that would be great for your pool: http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Pent...Pump-with-Twist-Lock-Cord/PNSD0060DO2260.htm?

Personally, I have had good luck with my intex swg (it is on it's third year) in my 11000 gallon pool, but it is a no frills unit that once it dies is done.

One thing it uses less electricity on low. It filters better on low because the water is going thru the filter slower. If I see the need for more skimming action I'll use high. For adding bleach I use high also to mix better.

For general filtration I use low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.