Above Ground Liner Replacement (NJ) Advice?

Jun 8, 2008
I bought a house that came with an above ground pool about 3 years ago. The advice on this forum about how to use bleach to chlorinate the pool totally saved my neck the first year.

The problem is that we've been getting tears in the liner. There was one on the bottom (patched) when we bought the place. By the end of last summer, we were getting lots of tears around the top, at and above the water surface. I don't know how old the liner is, but I figure we need to replace it.

Trouble is - I can't find any place that will install a pool liner. They'll install pools, but not liners. I just called the local pool supply place, and they gave me two numbers, so I'll try those in a moment.

For those who have been through this though, give me some advice -

Should I buy the liner myself and have the installer put it in? I haven't opened the pool yet - do I need to completely drain it before the installer turns up, or is draining the pool part of the service usually? I've heard that above ground pools will collapse if they're drained completely...

Am I being really foolish to have someone come and install a liner? Is this something two people with half a brain between them can do themselves?

How long should a liner last? I can't recall the measurements on the pool (forgive me, I'm 8 1/2 months pregnant and it's 98 degrees today), but does anyone know a rough range on what this should cost?

First of all, I wouldn't reccommend you do anything but rest and let your hubby and his buddies do it!

Can you tell us if it's an overlap or beaded liner? Overlaps would hang over the outside of the pool and are super easy compared to beaded liners that need the sun to stretch. I'd say, if you do indeed have an overlap, to do it yourself *not you of course* or if it's a beaded liner, hire someone else to do it.

Good Luck with the baby and the liner. 8)

I'm not sure how to tell, and the pool is under wraps at the moment. I know we have some fairly decent pictures of it from previous summers, but this is the only one I can find at the moment:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2393/217 ... a8.jpg?v=0

Does it help any?

I have the original paperwork that the previous owners got when they had the pool installed. There is a piece of paper here on liner bead receiver installation instructions, so it's probably a bead liner I imagine?

Is that pool wall bent in from that pole or are my eyes decieving me from too much sun today?

Replacing liner

Hi,

If it is an overlap liner, it is pretty easy if you're handy. I have a 15' AG round pool. My brother in law and I did mine by ourselves a couple of years ago with my kids who were 11 and 8 years old. We never put a liner in before. I didn't know this at the time but there are web sites that give step by step instructions. Here in Pennsylvania it costs $400-$500 for a liner installed.

carolyn

I'm not sure where in NJ you are located, but I just had my liner replaced in April. It was $350 for a 21' round AGP. I don't have the name and number of the company with me, but if you want it, just send me a PM and I will give it to you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.