Should I put a sock on my Intex 1600 basket?

Haley

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2013
Washington
Hi all,

Doing some reading and wondered if I need to put a skimmer sock on my little basket in my Intex 1600?

Oh, I guess I have another question... do I need to buy a wall skimmer? The pool doesn't have any trees around it and really the only thing I deal with are bugs. (Oy, one more potential thing to buy.) :pth:

What'cha think? :flower:

I have bamboo growing just across the fence from my pool. When the wind blows a bunch of the little needles get in to the pool and if I don't catch all of them with the hand rake they get sucked into the skimmer and into the pump. This clogged up the impeller on my Intex 1600 and I had to take it apart and clean them out.

I bought a package of skimmer basket socks (4 for $4.50) from Family Leisure Pool Store and they fit great. No more little needle problems. Catches a lot of bugs to. I just wash it out every morning and have been using the same one for a week or so now.

Oooooops...I spoke and then went back and looked at your post again. You were talking about the pump basket and not the skimmer basket. I was talking about the skimmer basket. I don't think the socks that I was talking about are going to work on the pump plus I wouldn't want to have to take the top off the pump basket and clean that out every day......Sorry, my bad!

Okay, interesting. So is it not good to open up the clear plastic lid that leads to the basket too often? It's super easy to get to and open up- or does it mess with the pressure inside the pump?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.