preventing buildup

jcp

Aug 14, 2012
Mid Missouri
I've got an Intex SWCG that gets a white scale build up, I assume due to my hard water. I've got to clean it a little more frequently than I prefer.

Is there anything I can add to the water that will help slow the buildup so I don't have to clean the cell so often? I saw something at Walmart called "Cell Saver", but it didn't say what was in it. I'm wondering if it would really work anyway, or if you guys know of something that will help.

BTW my pool is an 18x48 Easy Set. My CYA, chlorine, and ph are maintained at the levels recommended here. My TA runs high, I add MA about once a week to keep my ph in line.

Post a set of test results.

Most likely actively getting the TA down will help, but without knowing what the TA is we can't know. Also telling us that the TA runs high doesn't tell us anything, 60 is high to some and 200 is high to others. :scratch:
We also need to see the rest of the numbers.

TA was 240 about 3 weeks ago when I measured it.

I've done two weekly ph adjustments since then which would bring it down a bit, but I've also backwashed and added fill water since then also. I can measure tonight, but it's safe to assume it's 200+.

To this point I've never worried about trying to bring my TA down since my fill water is so high and I have no problem keeping my ph between 7.2 and 7.8 with weekly muratic acid doses.

Depending on the time of day or day of week I measure my test results run in the following range.

CYA 60
Chlorine 3-7
PH 7.2-7.8

I've never bothered to measure my calcium hardness. We have hard water. I've got the test, so if a specific number will help I can get it.

I'm betting your TA is the problem. SWG + high TA = calcium issues. If you can get your TA down to about 70, you can add borates and this will most likely solve your issues. It did for me. As always, YMMV.

I'll check the calcium hardness.

So these responses are leading me to believe the "magic potions" don't work?

I may just deal with the frequent cleanings of the SWCG. Between a fairly short season and fill water with really high TA; it seems like it would be tough to get the TA adjusted down every year based on where I'm starting from and the water I'm topping the pool off with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.