pH levels refusing to rise.

NMajor

Jul 9, 2013
Hi all,

Got my pool up and running by the local pool company last week, the problem is, since it's been setup, I've been tested the water daily, and it's crystal clear, but the pH levels are seriously low (around 6), I've added around 1kg of pH increaser over the period of a few days, and it's done absolutely nothing. On the chlorine side of things, it's non existent, but I need to sort out this pH before I start adding any (correct?) otherwise I'm basically wasting product.

So what do I have to do to higher the pH with the products I have?

(pH Increaser, Chlorine, Alkalinity Tablets)

Thanks

but I need to sort out this pH before I start adding any (correct?)
Incorrect. You should make it your priority to get chlorine in your pool......about 3 ppm. Keep it at that level.

Now, back to the pH, you simply haven't added enough. Add more, it'll come up.

duraleigh said:
but I need to sort out this pH before I start adding any (correct?)
Incorrect. You should make it your priority to get chlorine in your pool......about 3 ppm. Keep it at that level.

Now, back to the pH, you simply haven't added enough. Add more, it'll come up.

So I should shock the pool first, wait an hour or so, then add even more pH increaser? (as I said, I've added around 1kg), there is no problems with adding more?

Welcome to TFP! He did not say "shock" the pool (a term we do not use) he said maintain chlorine in the pool. You need the chlorine to prevent algae from starting. You also need to get stabilizer in the pool and to raise the pH.

Lots of information to be found in Pool School.

Welcome! :wave:

Around 6 pH? What kind of tester are you using? I hope it's not <gasp> test strips.

If you try to chlorinate with dichlor or trichlor dry chlorine, you'll be driving your low pH even lower.

Could you fill out your location, and the signature block? I see you're using Kg, which leads me to think maybe you're in Canada or Europe, and the advice you get might not be appropriate, as some testers and some chemicals are not readily available in parts of the world. pool-school/read_before_you_post

Richard320 said:
Welcome! :wave:

Around 6 pH? What kind of tester are you using? I hope it's not <gasp> test strips.

If you try to chlorinate with dichlor or trichlor dry chlorine, you'll be driving your low pH even lower.

Could you fill out your location, and the signature block? I see you're using Kg, which leads me to think maybe you're in Canada or Europe, and the advice you get might not be appropriate, as some testers and some chemicals are not readily available in parts of the world. pool-school/read_before_you_post

Thanks.

I'm using a testing kit, you basically fill it with water, drop the tablet in there, shake it for 30 seconds or so, and then compare the colour with the guides on the side.

Yes I am in the UK, the pool is around 17,000 gallons, it's currently pretty sunny so I have read that adding chlorine should be done at night, last year it was totally fine, the levels were perfect, and it was pretty easy to maintain, but now that the levels are so low, and I've been adding product for a few days, I'm just wondering whether I should continue or not (and you guys have stated I should).

As I stated above, I have pH increase (5kg), Chlorine granules (10kg), Hardener (5kg), Chlorine tablets, pH decrease (5kg), Alkalinity (5kg), and clear water tablets.

NMajor said:
As I stated above, I have pH increase (5kg), Chlorine granules (10kg), Hardener (5kg), Chlorine tablets, pH decrease (5kg), Alkalinity (5kg), and clear water tablets.
I think it's time to start reading labels. I've read that high-strength bleach in large bottles is hard to come by in the EU. If you're in a rural area, you might look at farm supply stores - they sell 12.5% sodium hypochlorite in 20l jugs for sanitizing dairy barns.

Your chlorine granules and chlorine tablets are likely dichlor and trichlor and they will severely impact pH...not to mention raising CYA. If your Calcium levels will allow it, you might hunt for Calcium Hypochlorite powder.

Richard320 said:
NMajor said:
I think it's time to start reading labels. I've read that high-strength bleach in large bottles is hard to come by in the EU. If you're in a rural area, you might look at farm supply stores - they sell 12.5% sodium hypochlorite in 20l jugs for sanitizing dairy barns.

Your chlorine granules and chlorine tablets are likely dichlor and trichlor and they will severely impact pH...not to mention raising CYA. If your Calcium levels will allow it, you might hunt for Calcium Hypochlorite powder.

So as stated, I did what was said, and I got the Chlorine back up to perfect numbers.

The pH is still the same (6.8), this pH plus is Soda Ash, so I am just about to add it again to see if it helps. :)

JasonLion said:
THe test will report any PH level below 6.8 as 6.8, so you are raising PH but you haven't gotten to 6.8 yet. Keep at it until you get to at least 7.0, since PH below that can damage the pool.

I see.

My pool is 17,000 gallons, I am just working out the numbers now.

Would you recommend using the bucket method or putting it straight into the skimmer?

If it's the skimmer method, do you know if I need to turn the sump off while adding the pH plus? (have forgotten this). I think it's what I remember was said.

Edit: So around 1kg of Soda Ash, which is what I added 2 days ago.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JasonLion said:
I recommend pre-dissolving the soda ash in a bucket and then pouring it slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running. That will get it mixed into the water as quickly as possible.

Already done. :goodjob:

I added a little manually to the shallow end as it's the furthest away from the jet.

Thanks for your input.

JasonLion said:
THe test will report any PH level below 6.8 as 6.8, so you are raising PH but you haven't gotten to 6.8 yet. Keep at it until you get to at least 7.0, since PH below that can damage the pool.

So I just tested the pool, pH levels are coming out at 7.1.

Guessing I need to add slightly more to get up to 7.5 or isn't there a real difference?

Whether you need to raise it more depends on you plans. If you need to SLAM the pool, then it is fine. If you are going to use bleach, then it is fine. If you are going to use Dichlor or trichlor (not recommended), then you should raise it more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.