Pool popped now rebuilding

Jun 24, 2013
New Jersey
I am new to pools but am a handy guy. I would love to save some $$ and repair my pool myself, I just want to make sure I do it right.

When we bought our house and opened the pool, there was a small void in the bottom of the liner. It popped and the pool lost all of its water. Where the pool water rushed out is now about a 3' x 5' pit. It is just beneath one of the pool supports.

My questions are these:

1. How should I fill the hole to make sure the void doesn't happen again?
2. Can the pool support just rest on the ground/sand, with the concrete footer that is already there?
3. Does it matter what kind of liner I get?
4. Should I just hire someone I trust, because I know a pool guy I can trust. I am just trying to save some cash.
5. If I need sand, where is the cheapest place to buy it?

Thanks all for the help. My main goal is to do it right at the cheapest price. I don't want to end up here again in a few years.

Do you have any pics of what you are talking about? The cheapest and easiest way to fill the hole would probably be with dirt. After every inch or two added, it will need to be tamped to pack it tight, so that it doesnt settle alot. And I wouldnt get in any hurry after filling it because dirt always settles to some extent. Yes it does matter what kind of liner you get. What type do you have now : overlap, beaded, etc. The thicker the liner the better they are. Liner are fairly easy to replace. There is a good you tube vid called SUPER SIMPLE above ground liner replacement to give you an idea if this is something you could do yourself. When I get a big project going I usually get a few friends over and pay them in beer. :cheers:

I am not a expert here but if you filled the hole with a compactable gravel (Modified 2A is one IIRC) and compacted it every 6 inches or so, you may be able to fill the hole. If you figured out the dimension you could ask the yard what it would take to fill that hole with compacted gravel. I think its about $30 a yard around here.

No sand! Call yuor landscape or gravel supplier and tell you need a compactable gravel. They will know what they have. I am not sure a road base is correct. let them know it is under a pool and it need to be compacted. The 2a or equivalent is the one I hear talk about here. My local yard seems to have what they call "3/4 AB#2 Road Base". Call the gravel guys and ask them what they recommend. Order a little extra and you can use any extra to make a pad for your pump or a ladder landing pad that doesn't get muddy like mine.

A small layer of sand goes over the dirt or the rock. You do not want to use any sand for the fill at all. I would be concerned rock working its way up through the sand over time if it was used. My neighbor has an area of gravel under his liner and nobody knows how it got there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.